Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you advise for or against painting an exterior in the winter, a time when it is either raining or very cold?

One painter came out and said he thought that we should not paint the house this time of year(we're selling).

The other painter came out and said ' "no problem"

I'm not sure what to think. Opinions?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I don't have a problem with it, it's 77 deg. here. LOL
I have noticed on the paint that I buy that it says not to apply below 50 deg. also to apply to a clean and dry surface.

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
One painter came out and said he thought that we should not paint the house this time of year(we're selling).
This guys correct, not sure how cold it is there but if the paints applied during a 40 degree day. And it falls to 35 or below at night, that coupled with the moisture is a mess waiting to happen. Where are you located?

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
it would depend entirely on the climate. around october its risky, in december through march it just doesnt happen. the paint will freeze before it cures so the bonding agents dont kick in. so when warm weather hits with some rain the paint will run

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Cold weather+rain+just painted surfaces(dry to the touch)= pretty little bubbles all over the place.....no idea how I know this.:jester:

·
Registered
711 Posts
The products that we use are labelled to be applied at 35 F and above. Some winters we've been able to work outside all winter with a little planning. That being said, we generally only do this on high-prep jobs. We'll wrap our scaffolding with reinforced poly so we're working out of the rain/snow/wind. We normally don't worry about heat during the prep phase. Once that is done, we either time our priming/painting for a warmer spell or bring in some propane space heaters if the forecasts are for temperatures below 35.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts