Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a medium size house that I am wanting to paint soon. I have painted interior but never exterior and have no idea of the top paints or what to look for in a exterior paint. I have used glidden, SW, benjamin moore, and Valspar. Can you please give me a small education and maybe your top 5 list of exterior paints that will last. I have been looking at the Valspar Duramax which claim 3 mil thinknest to help cover small cracks, one coat coverage and also are able to paint in 40 degree weather. Do all exterior paints do this? What is your take on this type paint and input on your brands. Thanks ;)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Bem, paints and recommendations can be regional, where are you located? In addition, a description of the substrate, condition and current coating would help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bem, paints and recommendations can be regional, where are you located? In addition, a description of the substrate, condition and current coating would help.

South East TN and this will be put on vinyl siding that has been painted once before about 10 years ago. Wanting to change the color. Thanks for the responses.

·
Pro
63 Posts
I don't like painting vinyl siding because it can warp. Make sure you aren't using dark colors. A vinyl paint will work, talk to your distributor.

·
Registered
81 Posts
sw super paint is formulated for dark colors over vinyl. this is good till 35 degrees. your price would be around 35$ per gal. this is what I use when spraying vinyl. good luck

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like BEHR alot. It's been rated #1 for a long time. It flows nice and levels to a very flat finish.

Always use PRIMER after your surface prep.

I also like adding Emulsa Bond to any exterior paint because it causes it to adhere to difficult surfaces.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts