Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help:I have about 50 feet of exterior mahagony hand rails, facing north, I need to refinish. I have been down the spar varnish path and after several hours of sanding, several packs of sandpaper and several six packs I vowed never to use it again.(spar varnish not the six packs). I need a product that protects against uv rays and new england weather. I would like to stay away from 2 part finishes, I'm not that good. I removed the rails from the railing system and sanded down to bare wood, love the look of the mahagony and don't know if I should stain or seal. If I stain what should I use and how many coats? Whats the process between coats(besides the six packs)? Can I use tongue oil on an exterior project? Finally what should I use, and how, for a sealer or topcoat? Also what about maintaince. I'm sure I'll have more questions but for now PLEASE HELP.
Thanks, I'm off to the thirst parlor, can't take the pressure. (thank goodness for handrails)

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
FINE HOME BUILDING Mag. had a really great article, within the last year,on exterior finishes.

I had no need for the knowledge at the time-Go to the library and look up the article.

It was a surprising read-worth the effort to look it up.--MIKE

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mahagony hand rails

FINE HOME BUILDING Mag. had a really great article, within the last year,on exterior finishes.

I had no need for the knowledge at the time-Go to the library and look up the article.

It was a surprising read-worth the effort to look it up.--MIKE
:clap:mike, thanks a ton. found article on line. my prays are answered.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
:help:I have about 50 feet of exterior mahagony hand rails, facing north, I need to refinish. I have been down the spar varnish path and after several hours of sanding, several packs of sandpaper and several six packs I vowed never to use it again.(spar varnish not the six packs). I need a product that protects against uv rays and new england weather. I would like to stay away from 2 part finishes, I'm not that good. I removed the rails from the railing system and sanded down to bare wood, love the look of the mahagony and don't know if I should stain or seal. If I stain what should I use and how many coats? Whats the process between coats(besides the six packs)? Can I use tongue oil on an exterior project? Finally what should I use, and how, for a sealer or topcoat? Also what about maintaince. I'm sure I'll have more questions but for now PLEASE HELP.
Thanks, I'm off to the thirst parlor, can't take the pressure. (thank goodness for handrails)
Totally hilarious!!!:w00t::w00t::notworthy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts