Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the planning stages of building a home for myself.

is it against code to have the loadcenter outside the living space? It would be downstairs in a three sided carport. I assume it would need to be in an exterior enclosure.

thanks, jim

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. Next question. power is expensive here so we have been cutting power to the "cold" water heater most of the time. on the new place can I have a switch put in somewhere upstairs so we won't need to go outside to turn it on?

Jim

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
That's just a design issue. As long as you can afford it, do it.

Reactions: maninthesea

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I will have it done. Thanks

Can it be done without an ugly disconenct box? I am thinking where would be better to place the switch. I would prefer the master bath with a decent looking switch but if it has to be a grey industrial looking disconnect or such then hide it in the walk in closet. Or would haveing it in a "walk in closet" be the same kind of viloation as putting a loadcenter in a regular closet?

The more I think about this the more I would prefer the master bath and while I am at it I think an adjustable thermal switch that powers a "Water is hot enough for her" LED or light in the master bath would be the iceing on the cake. I envision a 2 gang box with a sufficient amperage switch and an indicator light.

Jim

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,225 Posts
You can put a timer on it that allows it to come on and off when you want, and override it when you need it at other times.
Agreed. Unless you go tankless (IWC you wouldn't need a switch), there's going to be a pretty good lag time between turning it on and having hot water ready for use.

But sure, if you have the budget, you can set it up to be controlled with your smartphone.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You can put a timer on it that allows it to come on and off when you want, and override it when you need it at other times.
I guess a timer to come on every morning at 6am off at 7am then on demand would be OK but we dont mind turning on and waiting short time.

I will be considering tankless. Actually I was thinking of a black holding tank with black coil of copper on the roof then tankless. Its about 88 degrees here every day. When it goes below 70 at night it makes the news. Woudl I get one for each of the two bahtrooms and one for kitchen or one for whole house. The plan is to put the two bath's and laundry fairly close together but the kitchen sink is 25' away

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have not heard good things about electric tankless, and be prepared to upgrade your service if you go that route.
Whats the downside? reliability or power usage. I dont want unreliable if its power usageIt does not get cold here, not even cool so we dont have as much heat to add to the existing water temp. In fact before she moved in with me I would leave the water heater off for weeks at a time but women must have HOT water. we have been manualy switching for a couple years so the lag time is not an issue. I am looking to get a 200amp service so I can make 3 phase out of single phase to work on 10-20HP compressors when I need to.

Jim

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
I don't have one and can only comment on what customer's have said- they don't deliver enough hot water. As far as power consumption- the smallest unit I have installed required 80 amp at 240v and many that require an 80 amp and a 40 amp circuit. All homes that we install them in have a 320 amp service minimum. From my understanding gas is the only real way to go, and even then, payback on a unit can be up to 20 years.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No natural gas in Guam?
only propane and its cheaper than electric but appliances are more. I'll have gas range so a propane tankless could work but then I guess that would require venting.

This will be concrete structure by the way so fire hazard is minimal

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
only propane and its cheaper than electric but appliances are more. I'll have gas range so a propane tankless could work but then I guess that would require venting.

I'm curious what do you pay for power? I average about 8 cents per kwh with time of use.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts

The NG and propane tanks we have installed have been mounted in an exterior wall.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts