Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
House has a lot of ground water under one side/corner.
I've dug fence posts here in same area, weeks after it hadn't rained and still there's practically an underground river there.

Google earth even shows a blue line as if there's a spring there or something, maybe it was noted ~40 years ago when the development was built because there's no way google would know since then that there's ground water there.

I was digging around the foundation just to lower the grade a few inches and caulk the sill plate because crickets and moles were getting in.

I ended up digging deeper than a few inches to check that tree roots I found weren't making cracks (large maple, now removed), eventually a couple feet down water was pissing out of cracks/holes in the foundation. House has no basement, it's on a slab with cinder blocks on the perimeter and probably blocks in the center of the house under load bearing walls.

It's mostly wet like this on one side of the house luckily. I think I'll skip removing the paver patio along the back and just put a drainage system along half of the back and the side.
I guess I should leave the weep holes that have developed? The corner under downspout (never routed to the side even with an above ground flex pipe) is cracked up pretty bad I'm gonna pack the 4" hole with hydraulic cement, and likely connect the downspout to the underground pipe I want to install.

If I dig to the footer about 3ft I guess is where the pipe should be, this is New Jersey BTW frost line 3ft, but then I'll be lower than the street gutter level and can't just run a pipe to there (yes is allowed, many houses here have that but just for their gutters, not as deep as I think I should go.

So is there a method like a pop up or basin that can get water uphill? And it won't freeze?

I also want to learn this good method for ground level decks that might need framing below grade or are down-grade and would collect water underneath, to greatly prolong the life of the deck I want to put this type of drainage system around the perimeter.

any key words or what I should research for this? thank you

·
General Contractor
7,895 Posts
I've dug fence posts here in same area, weeks after it hadn't rained and still there's practically an underground river there.

Google earth even shows a blue line as if there's a spring there or something, maybe it was noted ~40 years ago when the development was built because there's no way google would know since then that there's ground water there.

I was digging around the foundation just to lower the grade a few inches and caulk the sill plate because crickets and moles were getting in.

I ended up digging deeper than a few inches to check that tree roots I found weren't making cracks (large maple, now removed), eventually a couple feet down water was pissing out of cracks/holes in the foundation. House has no basement, it's on a slab with cinder blocks on the perimeter and probably blocks in the center of the house under load bearing walls.

It's mostly wet like this on one side of the house luckily. I think I'll skip removing the paver patio along the back and just put a drainage system along half of the back and the side.
I guess I should leave the weep holes that have developed? The corner under downspout (never routed to the side even with an above ground flex pipe) is cracked up pretty bad I'm gonna pack the 4" hole with hydraulic cement, and likely connect the downspout to the underground pipe I want to install.

If I dig to the footer about 3ft I guess is where the pipe should be, this is New Jersey BTW frost line 3ft, but then I'll be lower than the street gutter level and can't just run a pipe to there (yes is allowed, many houses here have that but just for their gutters, not as deep as I think I should go.

So is there a method like a pop up or basin that can get water uphill? And it won't freeze?

I also want to learn this good method for ground level decks that might need framing below grade or are down-grade and would collect water underneath, to greatly prolong the life of the deck I want to put this type of drainage system around the perimeter.

Even if you could run the water to the gutter, you better check with the local building department if you can.
I'm also in NJ and in the old days when doing new homes, in some towns the requirement was to tie the gutters to a pipe and out to the gutter.
About 15 yrs ago more or less they stopped doing because it was a road hazard especially in the winter... so if the area where the soil has poor drainage or high water table and if you cannot tie the gutter system directly to the storm drain in the road, some towns make you install dry wells.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts

Even if you could run the water to the gutter, you better check with the local building department if you can.
I'm also in NJ and in the old days when doing new homes, in some towns the requirement was to tie the gutters to a pipe and out to the gutter.
About 15 yrs ago more or less they stopped doing because it was a road hazard especially in the winter... so if the area where the soil has poor drainage or high water table and if you cannot tie the gutter system directly to the storm drain in the road, some towns make you install dry wells.
Correct
All up to engineering departments

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so I'll check what they say about running it into the street. I'm ok with running it to shrubs before the street though but pretty sure they'll allow through the curb into gutter.

But how would I even get the water upwards?

I don't know how much water it would be under and alongside the house, as if to estimate size for a dry well/basin or something.

But for ground level decks, it usually wouldn't be too much water, so maybe just a pop up something?! someone said popups can freeze.
Ground level decks, I can probably usually find a suitable lower spot somewhere on the property even for just a pop up rather than trenching all the way to the street, would call 811 either way, but even accounting for the frame and depth of drain pipe, could still maybe avoid having to bring the water upwards, or a smaller basin if not?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I'd test your DWV pipes under the slab to see if one has failed.....Your waste might be your spring....:eek:

or camera.....:whistling

1 - 8 of 8 Posts