Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a plantation style home with an upstairs wrap-around balcony. It is currently covered in 1-1/8" plywood. What are my flooring options? I wanted a wood look to be like an old plantation home but do not know how to keep water damage from happening (both to the surface and the ceiling below). The ceiling below will be finished. It is in Louisiana so humidity is also an issue. Any advice wood be appreciated. I have attached a couple pics for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I'm a little distracted by the framing. I'm curious about how that TJI is attached to the top of the post.

As for your question about the flooring - the porch will be open to the weather?

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
The old house I grew up in had a tongue and groove wrap around porch. It was built in the late 1800's. It's still there.

What system was spec'd for the floor? I see a moisture issue down the road. Possibly??

Nice looking house. Keep us posted and good luck.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Remodel
29,579 Posts
If you take off the ply, it isn't framed correctly to use T&G. Assuming this was pitched away from the house, and you have clearance at the doorways, you can put T&G over the top with the grooves running from the house to the outside edge. Personally, I would have specd the ply as marine grade, considering your location.

If you don't use T&G installed water tight, or some other water tight installation, you'll have to put a roof system under the framing...

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
I have Fiberglass on my balcony and going on 13 years now, not one issue, easy to clean, etc. My balcony also has sun exposure for most of the day and no fading issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea I am not going to do it myself. I am just trying to educate myself on the best options. I don't want to just trust the contractor since I will be the one living with it.

Roofer suggested using GAF Storm guard instead. Will that work?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,937 Posts
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.