Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that you have to use oil base paint over old oil base on the exterior victorians in San Francisco. Why would that be? If you switch it to latex with an oil base primer, what would be the consequences for doing that? Are you better off sticking with the oil base and why? People say that the new latex is just as good as the oil base these days.

I figure it has something to do with the curing of the oil base paint?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep, that is true. Although you can find some places that still have some gallons left. It may be more expensive but people will pay if its better. The question still remains, is it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

Oil painting is more expensive than other paintings, but it looks cool. We can maintain easily. Better you can try Metallic paints. It will be more useful for you.

Thanks

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
From the paint reps I've talked too latex and solid color stains are superior to oil paints. Primarily due to their flexibility.

Historic painting of a million dollar home is probably a whole nother question. The real question is do they want it to look historic or BE historic?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts