Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's the Cutler Hammer CH10GEN3060

At a customers new - used house.

Obviously you plug a generator into the 4 - prong.

The CH breakers let you select which circuits you wish to power in the house within what is provided by the gen.

What I don't understand is part of the operation....

There is a 2 - pole breaker in the house main panel to feed the buss from the gen panel whip. I got that.

The lit says this:

"Mechanically interlocked main disconnects prevent paralleling of normal and emergency power source"

What does this statement mean ? I know you have to isolate the gen panel from the POCO when in use. In that regard what is it saying ?

Do you still have to cut off the 200 amp main while in use - and turn on the 2 pole 30 in the main panel for the gen panel ? Or can the 2 pole 30 stay on all the time ?

Just a bit confused on the proper steps of operation and the lit doesn't fully explain it ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.

I looked at several YT videos to see how similar worked.

Here's a pic of the interlock as you say. I suppose you push up the interlock to engage the gen with the 2 pole 30.

What about when the power comes back on....I think that's the whole concept of the switch. The power can come back on with the gen and interlock in the proper position. Just turn off the gen -- down with the interlock -- back to normal.

I may take the panel's off to view a bit.

CH doesn't have the box instructions online. I'll have to call them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
This is a manual interlock. It only allows 1 of the 2 breakers on at a time so the power systems cannot be turned on together or back fed.

One has to manually slide the bar up or down depending on which breaker you need on...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts