Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone recently take the General Contractor test? What BS.
What the he!! does the formation of ignious rock have to do with building.
There were 3 geology questions on this test. I counted 15 questions that had nothing to do with building and were ambiguous at best. You fail if you miss 14 out of 80 questions. A 70%.
Plus the way some of these questions are worded seems like trickery.
I believe Experior does this on purpose so one would have to retake the test, maintaining their profit. What's up with all the add on fee's.
You want your score before 20 days, that will be another $16 bucks. You want to know before the next test date or add another 32 bucks for late reg. or walk in fee. Now it's $75 to retake the test.

I asked the lady running the test and she acknowledged the complaints.
We all need to write letters to state representatives to expose this corruption.
I am wrong or just stupid?

PS: anyone know what traprock is?
Thanks
Off

·
Registered
88 Posts
Traprock is also a term used in the construction of durable concrete floors. A dry layer of cement and hardrock is troweled into the concrete surface while still in it's plastic state resulting in a highly durable floor.

Here's a link:
traprock

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took the test today in WV. I probably failed. There were 15 questions I had to guess. I might get lucky. I'll let you know in 20 days.

Anyone else believe Experior's implementing shady practices?

Off

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Experior makes you sign a statement saying you cannot memorize or copy dwon any test questions so I will have to paraphase:
Here's one of the geology questions:

What rocks are formed by molton lava?
A. Marble and Slate
B. Quartz and (can't remember something like "seurg")
C. Limestone and Sandstone
D. Granite and Traprock

I got this one right

Off

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I was'nt real impressed with the testing when I took it 6 yrs ago. 2-3 hour tests for my builder licsence. I have heard they have changed alot of things since I took it, but back then on one of the pages of the exam it listed the number of questions related to each feild, literally 70% of the question for the entire test were concrete related and they did'nt have a box marked E for: I sub that work out LOL!!!

I passed first time, but it was a stupid test non the less. Wouldl've been great if I were a drafter for all the print reading questions or a mason with the remaining concrete stuff...but guess they look at it like this: your the general so you should have a grasp of EVERY phase of constrution so it gets done right.

Good luck with your results. You might get lucky, a friend of mine failed the needed score to pass the national licesencing requirements but feel into the window that allowed him to licsence for the city he was working in.

·
Banned
187 Posts
I took the test 4 years ago in Hillsborough County. By the time I purchased the books, paid for the exam and proof of passing I recall spending over $500.

This was to get my painting license. I was impressed with the entire process and it's too bad more counties in the state don't require it.

It would certainly cutdown on the station wagon bandito's!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom
Ranger Painting
Hillsborough County License #PA2710

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Guys, it really does'nt cut down on anything. I and fellow subs get so irrate becasue we are the ones purchasing permits, getting inspections done and then getting hassled by the inspectors about this or that about things not even job realted: example-this current bathroom remodel I'm doing, I can call in for the rough in inspection no problem, but I wll not be able to call in for final for the fact homeowners have a kids bedroom downstairs and no egress window-they will not sign off until egress requirements are made. It is not my job to bring an entire house upto code for a 1 room remodel-heck, our professions would all but stop if that was the case...point is there are still gonna be as many shadey fockers out there tomorrow as there is today, this liscensing process will not change that. It just gives us another reason to charge jobs accordingly and lose them to the lowballers. :eek:

·
Registered
313 Posts
It is a processs. Get over it. Market forces cull out the weak.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts