Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a prospect that is interested in "paper based countertops". Told them I had no real info on them and that I'd check with my network of world-class contractors for info.

Google search turns up that:
1. They are preferred by chefs - No real explaination of why.
2. They are somewhat accepted as "Green"
3. They are comparatively inexpensive.

I got all the Mfg hype so I hoping for some real life experience.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was doing a remodel for an Architectural Firm (their own offices) and they had spec'd Richlite paper based counters (www.richlite.com) because of the green quotient. They had been putting these in some of their high end multi-family and commercial projects and loved them (probably because of LEED brownie points more than anything).

According to Richlite they are fairly heat and stain resistant, but according to an architect at that firm...they have their moments. A few tops had to be replaced due to staining and scratching even before occupancy. But take it with a grain of salt...a few bad tops out of a few hundred, probably would be the same with any other material.

My client did not use them because they are so expensive (I guess $$$green$$$ is more important than 'green'), so no personal experience just what I have heard through the grapevine.

I love being a guinea pig for new materials, as long as the client signs the waiver ;)

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My client did not use them because they are so expensive (I guess $$$green$$$ is more important than 'green'), so no personal experience just what I have heard through the grapevine.
innovous: My understanding is they're 50%-60% the price of granite? What did your client end-up going with?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Awesome I have never heard of these before. Thank you for the good information. Always great to have another option possible.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
I saw these at a contractor breakfast last February. I said to myself "paper based?" :blink:

I'm sorry, but logically thinking that through, paper in/on countertops.....that just doesn't sound right. You might as well just put some Advantech on there and paint it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts