Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the app for certified contractor, there are no specific instructions on what the verifier must prove. Is there certain wording that must be covered? In other words, how specific should the verifier be?

Thanks!

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
On the app for certified contractor, there are no specific instructions on what the verifier must prove. Is there certain wording that must be covered? In other words, how specific should the verifier be?

Thanks!
They ask for as much detail as possible including dates and dates of supervisor experience, the verifyer is supposed to use their own words in describing the work history.

The person verifying the experience is putting their licesne on the line by verifying someone elses experience and can possibly lose their license if it is found out that they lied.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The verifier won't be lying. We just need to know how detailed. For example, describe the jobs done or go into detail about the work completed on each job. And if so, how much detail?

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
The verifier won't be lying. We just need to know how detailed. For example, describe the jobs done or go into detail about the work completed on each job. And if so, how much detail?
I never said the verifyer was lying, just pointed out that they are putting their license on the line by signing for you.

The application says give as much detail as possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If anyone has any experience with this, I would appreciate some tips. I'm trying to find out if the verifier should describe one job in detail or give overview of jobs done over past four years or something in between. By detail, what is meant? Describing the jobs done or tellling all tasks performed on the job, etc. Just need some guidance here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
P.S. to above post, if you are familiar with app, we already have the work experience listed with dates and jobs. I am referring only to the page(s) that the verifier completes and has notarized.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
P.S. to above post, if you are familiar with app, we already have the work experience listed with dates and jobs. I am referring only to the page(s) that the verifier completes and has notarized.
I am familiar with the page you are talking about.

Did you alerady submit an application and get it kicked or are you getting ready to submit an application?

What type of license are you applying for?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
certified building contractor

We submitted it and received a letter saying it wasn't specific enough. The problem is that the letter was not written correctly and told us we needed to provide the info required for a general contractor (info about high rises basically). We called and they said they've had this error several times and they sent an e-mail to that dept to correct their error. They are supposed to correct within five days. So we are expecting another letter telling us the same thing, except to say its not specific enough for certified building contractor. We just don't know what else we should add. How specific? Want to get it right this time. We have heard there is specific wording they are looking for, but it is not spelled out on the app or the website.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
certified building contractor

We submitted it and received a letter saying it wasn't specific enough. The problem is that the letter was not written correctly and told us we needed to provide the info required for a general contractor (info about high rises basically). We called and they said they've had this error several times and they sent an e-mail to that dept to correct their error. They are supposed to correct within five days. So we are expecting another letter telling us the same thing, except to say its not specific enough for certified building contractor. We just don't know what else we should add. How specific? Want to get it right this time. We have heard there is specific wording they are looking for, but it is not spelled out on the app or the website.
There are certain areas you need to list like slabs over a certain size, forms, footers, tie beams, framing etc., you also have to list some commercial work as well.

You will need 1 year as a foreman or supervisor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the verifier lists the specifics of the jobs he has first hand knowledge of for the period of one year. Where do you get a list of what must be covered in his writing (such as the things you mentioned)? We want to make sure we cover it all this time. One job was a new home and one was a remodel.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
So the verifier lists the specifics of the jobs he has first hand knowledge of for the period of one year. Where do you get a list of what must be covered in his writing (such as the things you mentioned)? We want to make sure we cover it all this time. One job was a new home and one was a remodel.
You need some commercial experience as well, just listing one home and a remodel will not be enough for a Building Contractors license.

On the DBPR website it should list the area's of experience you need.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, we have over four years worth listed that includes some commercial experience.

What I am referring to is the verifier's sheet. If he only supervised the house and the remodel, does he only give specifics of that or does he have to check the background for the four+ years and also write about that? This is what is confusing is the verifier's role. I understand that the experience must be listed and we have that.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
OK, we have over four years worth listed that includes some commercial experience.

What I am referring to is the verifier's sheet. If he only supervised the house and the remodel, does he only give specifics of that or does he have to check the background for the four+ years and also write about that? This is what is confusing is the verifier's role. I understand that the experience must be listed and we have that.
What is WE?? it is the individual that must have the experience that is applying for the license after passing the test.

I don't think you understand, you need more than some commercial experience for a Building Contractors license.

there are specific area's that have to be listed for a Building Contractors license, just because you worked on a commercial job does not mean you qualify, either talk to the DBPR or hire a company to help you get your license.

You may need to change the application to a Residential contractor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As bwalley has told you. You need to be very specific. I just went through this myself and the more specific information and dates you can give them the better. They do have key skills they are looking for that only would come from commercial experience. You have to hut for it but the criteria they are looking for is listed on the state site. Document everything you have done in slabs over 20,000 sqft, footings,beams, steel work, ect. This will improve your chances. If you don't have verifiable experience in these areas then you will have to drop down to Residential or go get the experience now. You have 3 years to activate your license. Good luck to you. You have to be patient with the state. They move slowly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. I have not been able to find that info anywhere on the site, but will keep looking.

The commercial experience was building a school and two hospital additions, but that has been over four years ago.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For those who may read this looking for the same answer I was seeking, below is a sample of the format and wording we were given to follow. Obviously, you would change it to fit your experience. Also, remember that you must show experience in 4 or more of the following areas: foundations/slabs in excess of twenty thousand sq ft; masonry walls; steel erection; elevated slabs; pre-cast concrete structures; column erection, etc. This is what goes on the verifier's form. And you may use more than one verifier and more than one form if needed. None of this info is on the app or the website. Apparently, most people pay a company to jump through the hoops for them, but we did not. My husband took the test without going to a test-prep school, so we must have missed the inside info by not doing that. Hope this helps someone else.

1. FOUNDATION & SLABS OF 22,000 sq. ft. & 24,000 sq. ft:: Supervised pouring concrete slabs and finishing slabs on grade-slab size was 22,000 sq ft. and 24,000 sq. ft. - ensure that control joints are provided at intervals in the slab. Check the proper consistency of mix before pouring. Supervise the placing of concrete into the formwork from the chute of the mixer truck and/or pump. Spread the concrete until the form is full; ensure the concrete is agitated, especially around the edges to avoid any air pockets. Make sure the concrete mix is being compacted with a vibrator to avoid air pockets, finally the formwork is stripped.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts