Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a program or spreadsheet they use for keeping track of overhead and expenses? I really need to keep better track of these things but I do not want to use Quicken to do it. I don't pay for everything from my business checking account so not everything is recorded, like when I pay cash for instance.

Anyone have any ideas? Should I just build a spreadsheet? I'm not really that Excel savvy.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
quickbooks. Every penny I spend and earn goes right into quickbooks.

If I pay for anything out of pocket or off my personal check/credit card I reimburse myself from my company just as if I were a vendor to my company. For example I bought $10 worth of stuff from office max. At the end of the month I submit a pile of recipets to my company and write myself a reimbursement check, seperate from my earnings check.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Tom, I guess that you miss out on the Ben Franklin discounts?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I never ask but get way too many offers. Must be a Florida thing.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
IMO, using spreadsheets for tracking costs is like using a pair of channel locks to change your spark plugs. It works, but why not use the right tool?
As an estimator, I used nothing but spreadsheets for 15 years - some were simple some were complex. When I needed to take on the job of bookeeper I heeded my accountant's advice and bought an application (Quickbooks Pro). It''s the right tool for the job.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
On a scale of 1 - 5, 5 being hardest, I'd give it a 2.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Quickbooks is very powerful. I like it for everything accounting related except estimating. It is easy to do all the basic stuff. The deeper you get into the program the more you need to know about accounting but that is true for all good accounting programs.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Teetorbilt said:
I guess that you miss out on the Ben Franklin discounts?
Ben and I are good friends.:Thumbs::Thumbs::cheesygri

Teetorbilt said:
I never ask but get way too many offers. Must be a Florida thing.
Nope, it's a NY thing as well. Some might consider Fla NY South.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I use Quicken home and small business.
I think it may be time to make the jump from Quicken to Quickbooks. Quicken is OK but it seems QB is by far the better way to go.

One more question then. Which QB to get. I see everything from Pro to Contractor (I did hear not to get this one), etc....
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
'Pro' for me. Still using 2003 version. It's powerful and flexible enough to do everything I need including all the standard statements plus set-up job budgets, track and report job costs, generate invoices, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts