Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im starting to venture into painting now also with my business just wondered if you all could see if this looks right....

This is @ 2.00 sq ft for painting walls, trim etc

5 Exterior Doors = 50 sq ft ea = $500.00?

Stairwell + top hallway =550 sq ft = $1100?

Facia = 75 sq ft = $150?

Exterior wall Panel = 300 sq ft = $600?

3 roof dormers trim work = 36 sq ft = $72?

Sand and varnish 3 solid wood doors both sides = ???

Any help would be much appreciated and if any of you need a logo or some graphics or whatever done let me know I will do it for free.. :Thumbs:

·
Painting Contractor
1,881 Posts
onhand said:
Im starting to venture into painting now also with my business just wondered if you all could see if this looks right....

This is @ 2.00 sq ft for painting walls, trim etc

5 Exterior Doors = 50 sq ft ea = $500.00?

Stairwell + top hallway =550 sq ft = $1100?

Facia = 75 sq ft = $150?

Exterior wall Panel = 300 sq ft = $600?

Sand and varnish 3 solid wood doors both sides = ???

Any help would be much appreciated and if any of you need a logo or some graphics or whatever done let me know I will do it for free.. :Thumbs:
No, these prices are not right!
Having said that, only you can determine what you need to make for
every hour charged and you only know, or should learn your production rates.
This has being discussed before, do a search here and you will find information.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
George Z said:
No, these prices are not right!
Having said that, only you can determine what you need to make for
every hour charged and you only know, or should learn your production rates.
This has being discussed before, do a search here and you will find information.
Too low George or too high?

·
Painting Contractor
1,881 Posts
You can turn anything into square feet but usually trim is measured
by the linear foot. But size alone will not tell you the whole story.
You have to factor in: height (roof work), prep-work, type of trim etc.
It takes a while to learn all that. To start, figure out how long something
will take you and how much you need to make per hour. Make sure
that hour includes your overhead (including your salary), your profit and
your direct job costs (including your own pay for work on the field).
As far as having to have a unit price for everything, it will be possible
to have that, only after you have some sort of history of your production
rates.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
bountyhunter said:
not a painter here, but I would charge $72 just to get on a roof to paint, let alone doing the actual work.

way too low in my opinon
He's right. You need to take your base wage, in this case $2 per square foot, and add in some difficulty factors. Trim has a lot of ladder moves involved, you may want to increase it by say 30%? Dormers: they are high up... dangerous! extension ladders are heavy and hard to move... pain in the butt! add 30% for each of these dificulty factors, multiply their actually linear/square feet by 60%. Bunch of trees in front of those exterior walls panels? How long will it take you to move/protect them? Don't do it for free.

These are just examples. As was said previosly you need to figure out how much of a dificulty this is for you and your crew and adjust accordingly your base wage for each.

·
Professional Tradesman
307 Posts
Humble Abode said:
He's right. You need to take your base wage, in this case $2 per square foot, and add in some difficulty factors. Trim has a lot of ladder moves involved, you may want to increase it by say 30%? Dormers: they are high up... dangerous! extension ladders are heavy and hard to move... pain in the butt! add 30% for each of these dificulty factors, multiply their actually linear/square feet by 60%. Bunch of trees in front of those exterior walls panels? How long will it take you to move/protect them? Don't do it for free.

These are just examples. As was said previosly you need to figure out how much of a dificulty this is for you and your crew and adjust accordingly your base wage for each.
This is an insight which many here will agree with, you will experience a great loss at one phase of a project and great profit on another . Your experience will be your guide sad to say< we all have taken a licking at some point> and it helped us grow to the businessmen we are today. Loss is not bad if you learned why you lost , the profit is the hard part. How much profit stays with the company and how much goes to you the owner . LOL You'll twist yourself in so many directions on that one. You need to start at point A: and figure out how much does it cost to operate= Phone, advertising, fuel, equipment maint. cost etc... Theres A: then B: You decide what B C and D is...Develop a monthly budget of expenses and have a plan of attack to kill it Times 2.

Digging in and getting dirty and making mistakes is what its all about in the beginning, nothing anyone here can say can stop you from making mistakes and learning from them.

Good luck, and get busy building your empire.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
God I love you guys! I love this Forum! Thanks! Who needs a Logo! LOL :cheesygri :Thumbs:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts