Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you guys use them. I need some ideas for mine. The two most important questions will obviously be, "what did you like most about your experience with Humble Abode, LLC" and "What did you like least..." or some form thereof.

Any other ideas? I would like to ask about the other bids they got before selecting us. How likely they are to refer us to their friends etc.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike Finley said:
The biggest purpose of my exit survey is to obtain permission to use them as a reference and to get customer testimonials.

Those two things are worth their weight in gold when meeting new customers.
That's exactly why I am doing it.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Humble Abode said:
That's exactly why I am doing it.
Right on! :Thumbs:

One thing to consider in asking a question that will get a negative response such as what did you like least? I now put these surveys in my presentation book and let prospective customers read them, they freaken love them, they stop and pour over them deciphering the hand written notes that customers include on the surveys. So in my case I wouldn't want anything on there negative, there is always the chance that a customer could ruin a perfectly good survey just because he thinks he has to fill in every question with something. But it all depends on how you are going to use them I suppose.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike Finley said:

One thing to consider in asking a question that will get a negative response such as what did you like least? I now put these surveys in my presentation book and let prospective customers read them, they freaken love them, they stop and pour over them deciphering the hand written notes that customers include on the surveys. So in my case I wouldn't want anything on there negative, there is always the chance that a customer could ruin a perfectly good survey just because he thinks he has to fill in every question with something. But it all depends on how you are going to use them I suppose.
I figured I would pick and choose the responces I liked and toss the rest. ;)

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Humble Abode said:
I figured I would pick and choose the responces I liked and toss the rest. ;)
Yeah, I totally get that, but what is a bummer is when you get a awesome survey back that goes on and on about you and then they have in that place about what is the worst something that just ruins the whole survey and you can't use it. I would hate to run that risk was what I meant.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike Finley said:
Yeah, I totally get that, but what is a bummer is when you get a awesome survey back that goes on and on about you and then they have in that place about what is the worst something that just ruins the whole survey and you can't use it. I would hate to run that risk was what I meant.
I agree. I would sure love to show some of these in there entirety. I think it would lend a little bit of credibility to the testemonials themselves. And what is a testimonial if not a statement of your business' credibility?

I can still pick and choose the good stuff for the website, fliers, etc.

·
Registered
114 Posts
okay guys, mine is real simple. and short. it's a 5 question questionaire. 1.) please check ONE to descibe the quality of completed work (exellent/good/poor/sub-standard) 2.)was the work descibed above completed in a timely manner, and to your specifications?(yes/no) 3.) were you satisfied with the level of customer service you recieved? (yes/no) 4.) would you use us again,or refer anyone to us?(yes/no) 5.) may we use you as a reference with prospective clients?(yes/no) it may not look like much to you big-city guys, but this thing has been pure gold for me. you don't give them too many ways to wax eloquent on the job. it may take away from the good a little, but it keeps them from those little comments that screw up using them. also i generally wait 30-45 days after to send this out. by then the sticker shock has worn off, and any petty stuff that may have clouded a good reference, has been forgotten. hey, if you like it ,use it to your heart's content. besides , i don't think copyright laws apply to questionaires!

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
carpenter1st said:
besides , i don't think copyright laws apply to questionaires!

LOL I hope not! I like the idea of keeping it short and sweet. This will be the first time I do this sort of thing, so it's going to all our former customers so far. But now that it's standard I think I will wait 20-30 days before I send it out.

·
Painting Contractor
1,881 Posts
We make the questionaire our sign-off sheet as well.

"Was everything completed to your satisfaction?"
is one of the questions.

Thank you for your business.
Your warranty period will begin upon signing of this job completion certificate
and the receipt of the final payment. Any touch up, or other work
not included on this certificate is subject to an additional charge.

The above, in combination with a good contract makes collecting
money easy and helps eliminate silly callbacks.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I use customers houses as refrences no ifs and or butts. The biggest reason for me to use an exit survey is to learn about my company from the eyes of my customers.

Why did you choose to hire us? (this is THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION)

Did we live up to your expectations?

What did you like most about doing business with us?

What did you like least?

If there was one thing you could change what would it be?

On a scale of 1-5, with 5 being the highest, please give us your overall rating of your expereince with our company.

I regards to negative responses, while I do not hope to ever read any negative responses I do want to know about any negativity. How else can I improve?

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Grumpy said:
I use customers houses as refrences no ifs and or butts. The biggest reason for me to use an exit survey is to learn about my company from the eyes of my customers.

Why did you choose to hire us? (this is THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION)

Did we live up to your expectations?

What did you like most about doing business with us?

What did you like least?

If there was one thing you could change what would it be?

On a scale of 1-5, with 5 being the highest, please give us your overall rating of your expereince with our company.

I regards to negative responses, while I do not hope to ever read any negative responses I do want to know about any negativity. How else can I improve?
Yea it's a fine line between pure marketing and actually using the survey to better your company. I'd like my survey to be able to do both.

(this might deserve its own thread)
Back to an earlier question, could I ask how much the competeing bids were? I ask my customers this occasionally and always feel slightly uncomfortable about it. I never feel like they are telling me the whole truth anyway.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Humble Abode said:
could I ask how much the competeing bids were? I ask my customers this occasionally and always feel slightly uncomfortable about it. I never feel like they are telling me the whole truth anyway.
Mr. Customer I have a trophy box at the office. It's full of competitor's contracts. Could I trouble you to give me the competing bids for my trophy box? You're just going to throw them away anyways.

Also works. Mr. Customer my boss pays me a bonus for "Scalps". A scalp is a competing contractors bid when we won the job over them. Could you please give me the competing bids so I can collect my bonus?

BTW I do pay bonuses for scalps.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Damn guys, don't be waiting 20-40 days to survey your customer! That's the worst thing you could do. Give them the survey and a self addressed stamped envelope with the final invoice. I always give it to them as the last thing I do and say something like "Here is my customer satisfaction survey and a self-addressed stamped envelope, I would really appreciate it if you could find the time to fill it out and send it to me, it allows me to confirm that you are really happy with what we did and also lets me know if we can use you as a reference or not."

There is no time ever during the cycle that the customer is going to be the most happy then right after the job is complete. Everything is shiney and new, and they are pleased as punch. Their motivation will also be at their highest to wrap things up and send you the survey, right after the job. I'm running about a 90% return rate doing it that way. That's my take on it.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mike Finley said:
Damn guys, don't be waiting 20-40 days to survey your customer! That's the worst thing you could do. Give them the survey and a self addressed stamped envelope with the final invoice. I always give it to them as the last thing I do and say something like "Here is my customer satisfaction survey and a self-addressed stamped envelope, I would really appreciate it if you could find the time to fill it out and send it to me, it allows me to confirm that you are really happy with what we did and also lets me know if we can use you as a reference or not."

There is no time ever during the cycle that the customer is going to be the most happy then right after the job is complete. Everything is shiney and new, and they are pleased as punch. Their motivation will also be at their highest to wrap things up and send you the survey, right after the job. I'm running about a 90% return rate doing it that way. That's my take on it.
Good point.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Mike Finley said:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts