Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have to paint the sides on three dormers sticking out of a 12/12 SLATE roof -(this will be a rare event so I don't want to invest in anything expensive that I'll rarely use). I'm thinking of making temp toe boards on a sheet of OSB and 2x4s then hang that off the peak with 2x4s & 2x6s and adding two additional ropes (plan on using in my harness too). One man operation here - no way to get a cherry picker in the terraced yard nor is there a budget for it. Anyone have some tips on doing this. TIA Steve

·
Registered
305 Posts
Last time I did dormers, I put my biggest ladder on the ground and laid it flat on the roof so it matched to roof pitch. Put some padding under so you don't scratch the roof. At that angle, it wouldn't hold any weight, so I used another ladder to get up. Once I was up there, the big ladder gave me something to get a foothold and I felt pretty safe.

The customer had actually hired another painter to paint the whole exterior. He painted everything EXCEPT the dormers. He just couldn't figure out how to do it. That's how I wound up with the job! :)

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
Roxy Remodeling said:
Have to paint the sides on three dormers sticking out of a 12/12 SLATE roof -(this will be a rare event so I don't want to invest in anything expensive that I'll rarely use). I'm thinking of making temp toe boards on a sheet of OSB and 2x4s then hang that off the peak with 2x4s & 2x6s and adding two additional ropes (plan on using in my harness too). One man operation here - no way to get a cherry picker in the terraced yard nor is there a budget for it. Anyone have some tips on doing this. TIA Steve
If you don't have a roof hook, you might want to invest in one, although;

Plywood would distribute the weight better on old slate. (with or without the hook)

Chicken boards sound alright;

Just don't "Foghorn, Leghorn" the screws.

Animated cartoon Cartoon Animation Illustration Art

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,658 Posts
I have made some osb with cleats like the op talked about. I called them

Roofease.

I tied them into the sub fascia using ledgerlocks.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Articulating Boom Lift....:thumbsup:

I do not understand why there is such an aversion to using equipment on a job when it makes the task at hand easier, quicker and safer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
griz said:
Articulating Boom Lift....:thumbsup: I do not understand why there is such an aversion to using equipment on a job when it makes the task at hand easier, quicker and safer.
No other choice but the right one here! Use the right tool for the job

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Turn down the job. I used to do some crazy, stupid, dangerous stuff but I don't do crap like that anymore unless the lift is being delivered and paid for as part of the estimate.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Tom Struble said:
if it don't sink in the driveway..

Then get this one and park it down the block :laughing:

Stadium Sky Architecture Sport venue Crane

I went on an 80' one one time, it's a little scary. But we have a 100' ladder truck at our fire department I've been in countless times with no problem, but that doesn't sway nearly as much

1 - 20 of 24 Posts