Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I painted 2 units today (4200 wall sqft each) today. Spray no backroll oil based problock primer.

I used new filters in the respirator, suited up, the works.

I never smelled any fumes (but the neighbors sure did). I've never been so exhausted. No, I aint high.

Anyone have this side effect after prolonged exposure to oil paint?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I painted 2 units today (4200 wall sqft each) today. Spray no backroll oil based problock primer.

I used new filters in the respirator, suited up, the works.

I never smelled any fumes (but the neighbors sure did). I've never been so exhausted. No, I aint high.

Anyone have this side effect after prolonged exposure to oil paint?
Hell yeah. It's crazy sh**. I'm sorry you're having to work with it at the moment.

One day I had a full mask on. I was spraying sanding sealer. I smelled it in my mask and was like, how? When I checked, one single strand of my long hair got in between the seal and my face. Strong and toxic.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,649 Posts
Happens to me. The best part is being able to smell the solvent on your own breath when you breathe out. You should have a headache as well, but maybe not with that particular product.

·
Trees are Cool
195 Posts
I worked in a commercial cabinet shop for a while. The spray booth had fans that blew all the fumes away. We used a particularly dangerous product and the head painter made the owner get breathing hoods. They had a positive airflow from the compressor. There was a filter to make the air OK. I know they make compressors that are safe to use for breathing.
Maybe one of these would be work for you. Another hose is a PITA, but no fumes. They were not cheap ($6-800 I think) but what are those chemicals doing to you?

·
Registered
797 Posts
We used a particularly dangerous product and the head painter made the owner get breathing hoods. They had a positive airflow from the compressor.

Probably spraying conversion varnish with xylene. Super durable on cabinets but one of the most toxic chemicals to spray.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did push myself hard yesterday. I literally sprayed until i cried, then would take a ten minute break.

I had a hood & respirator but no eye protection. I bought goggles that you could turn a dial and clean, but they were worthless. So I guess the fumes made it into my system through my eyes.

·
Registered
797 Posts
So I guess the fumes made it into my system through my eyes.
Hell yeah they did! Right through your eyes to your brain. You must seal your eyes if you don't want the crap in your system.

If you're going to do spray work, you might as well invest $200 in a good complete face mask. Way worth it in the long term.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I'm getting a full face one next paycheck. Aint gonna have that happen again.

Never really have that issue w/latex. I'm sure its happening, just never noticed it.

This put me on notice thats for sure.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Yeah, I'm getting a full face one next paycheck. Aint gonna have that happen again.

Never really have that issue w/latex. I'm sure its happening, just never noticed it.

This put me on notice thats for sure.
Post what you get. I could use something too. Had my eyes good and filled up with paint twice this week.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I got mine as Sherwin Williams. The 3M brand. http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.co...e-P2307.aspx?gclid=CPzC4rmP_70CFa9cMgodyw8ALQ

I think I payed around that but bought extra filters and film covers. which put it somewhere near $200.00. The film protects the clear plastic of overspray. You have to change them out once in awhile. They don't cost much though.

There is a great company that will make prescription glasses to fit in to the mask so your own eyeglasses don't break the seal around your face.

I would have to dig up the name but if you're interested, just ask. You just send them your prescription and the kind of mask and they send you back these neat little glasses that fit right in to the mask. Another $100 but again, well worth it if you want to see what you are spraying.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Watch that stuff. My uncle and cousin both painted indoors in spray booths at a local amusement park. They both died from brain cancer, uncle at 71, cousin at 47. Coincidence ?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Watch that stuff. My uncle and cousin both painted indoors in spray booths at a local amusement park. They both died from brain cancer, uncle at 71, cousin at 47. Coincidence ?
I wish we could rid ourselves of all the nasty chemical paints and stains and find green alternatives. They don't hold up as well but I think worth it.
There are parts of the states and Europe that are not doing an outright ban but putting limits on the amount of VOC's that get in to our environment.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I went for training at topkote, they preached full face masks. One if the things they discussed was how mucous membranes like your eyes absord the vapors.

I just kinda blew it off as being overly cautious.

·
Registered
797 Posts
yeah, I've been there when I first started. Then it takes one day in the spray room with an inadequate respirator and cover-ware and you feel freaking drugged. Our skin is our biggest organ so covering the body is essential.

I had to sit in my car for an hour that first day just waiting to feel somewhat normal.

I was pissed at my boss. He was in and out the spray room with half or no respirator until I took over. So I guess I couldn't expect him to train me right when he wasn't even doing it himself. I just fixed it fast and I have to say, I hate the chemicals but I love the art of spraying a nice piece of furniture. It's the bomb!

But the chemicals.... we need change. I've never seen any one dispose of their chemicals properly either, if there even is proper a way.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,649 Posts
Good moves, everyone. I have a buddy that developed COPD - painting was one of the factors, as was Reg's recreation.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,649 Posts
What? Explain more hdavis.
Asthma, smoking cigs (he quit), paint and sheet rock dust from painting (had to brush the wall as he went - had to quit painting), heavy recreational smoker(never quit this). Basically he couldn't handle the shear volume of everything he was putting into his lungs - it can't be pegged on any one thing.

If I'm working with organic solvents, I don't drink until they clear - it would wipe my liver.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts