Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all im new to the business world but not to the business im curnetly trying to start an excavation bus. i want to do septics water / sewer tie ins.. ive been doing this type of work for going on 9 years now but it seems that everytime i ask a super or the owner about what licenceing i would need or where and how to bid jobs i never get an answer maybe becasue they are to busy or maybe because they dont want any more competition?!! well my question for you guys is what licences if any would i need to acomplish my goal.. i know i would need letersof rec. and insurance but other than that do i need a g/c licence (csl) or anything of the sort .. any help would be greatly appreciated . also where can you find jobs out for bid.. do you have to go to every town site to see if there is a rfb? or is there any easier way to do this?

Thanks!!

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
In my State you can't touch a piece of pipe in that ground unless you are under the supervision of a Master Plumber.

You also need a contractors license.

Besides licensing you need some pretty darn serious insurance and bonding.

Mike

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Interesting Mike,

Out here there are separate licenses for plumbing, septic and side sewer/sewer main.

A plumbers license does not necessarily allow you to do septics/sewer and vice versa.

I have the septic/sewer licensing and not the plumbing.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Interesting Mike,

Out here there are separate licenses for plumbing, septic and side sewer/sewer main.

A plumbers license does not necessarily allow you to do septics/sewer and vice versa.

I have the septic/sewer licensing and not the plumbing.
In Wisconsin, and many other States, a Master plumbers License covers a lot of ground. For my masters test as an example, I had to size a water distribution system for a hospital...full set of plans.....and also design 3 different septic systems to include a mound system as well. We have to also pass testing on soil evaluation etc.

With that said, we also have something called "Master restricted" so you can technically have a master restricted sewer contractor where that's all he can do. But, under no circumstances can you own and operate a business without having a masters license.

Mike

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Check your states website for all the registration requirements. As far as where to get your customers, start out with a good website, hire a pro. Then grow from there, I'm still trying to figure out how to get customers after four years being in business.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts