Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I currently carry a license B ( sole owner ) here in California. I have a part time job offer as project manager from other Construction Inc company ( they have a license B too ). And they will pay me by project ( not hour )

My quesion are;

1) does it affect my licence status by working for them?
2) how about clamping tax?

Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi everyone,

I currently carry a license B ( sole owner ) here in California. I have a part time job offer as project manager from other Construction Inc company ( they have a license B too ). And they will pay me by project ( not hour )

My quesion are;

1) does it affect my licence status by working for them?
2) how about clamping tax?

Thanks.
From personal experience (over the past 30+ years):

Question #1 - Probably no affect on your license as the way you laid out how your deal/involvement is structured you are simply an outside consultant for this firm. I just would advise that you do NOT sign any documents, contracts, etc. for the firm that has your personal CSLB license on it, again your simply an outside consultant therefore your risk is minimal.

Question #2 - The company can simply pay you and at the end of the year issue you a 1099 for the total they paid. If the company is smart they will have you submit an invoice on your letterhead with each requested payment. This way you are not an employee of the firm but rather simply an outside consultant.

Good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Kind of have the same question.....not to thread jack, but would like a bit more explanation please...Have a active gen b license as well, but also work for another contractor hourly as an employee, w2's and all. maybe I misread the above posts, but it is still legal this way, right?
Yes absolutely no issues at any level. You can keep your license active and be employed for a GC.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts