Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Everybody's opinion on...

6239 Views 59 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  WarriorWithWood
Mike Holmes? He seems to be a di** on the jobsite but he also appears (at least TV portrays him) to really know everything he's talking about. Is he the ultimate contractor or the beneficiary of a huge tv deal budget that allows him to throw all kinds of money at homeowner's problems. Also, who in the hell screws their studs into plates? Canadian guys open up. I'm on the fence about Mike so we'll do this democratically and I'll let the professionals make my decision for me.
21 - 40 of 60 Posts
What the f**k is a laptop?
Winchester, what province does he work out of? And how did he become the chosen one? I have to imagine there are plenty of solid contractors in Canada so what made him "television special"? It's kind of funny that you guys have the overall wearing butch Mike Holmes and in the USA we have the lemon juiced bleached sun-tanned TY PENNINGTON. You guys win by default.
JumboJack, you'll have to clarify before issuing that laughing face. I know I'm new but please specify one post I've been wrong on.
I'm laughing at the fact that you have over half the posts in this thread.:laughing::laughing::laughing:
Reactions: BobsLandscaping
You know what doesn't make you creepy at all? Keeping another man's post stats.
Winchester, what province does he work out of? And how did he become the chosen one? I have to imagine there are plenty of solid contractors in Canada so what made him "television special"? It's kind of funny that you guys have the overall wearing butch Mike Holmes and in the USA we have the lemon juiced bleached sun-tanned TY PENNINGTON. You guys win by default.
Out of Ontario.

He is special because he had the great idea of a niche market fixing other people's mistakes and also making a show about it.

"Holmes on Homes was first conceived when Holmes approached the producers of the Just ask Jon Eakes home improvement show on HGTV with the idea for a new kind of home improvement show. Although there were few submissions to the show initially, their number had ballooned by the fourth season. In one fourth season episode of the show, Holmes stated that he received hundreds of e-mails a week from people asking him for help."

When I said he's good at what he does, I meant that He's a good at business and enforcing the need for himself, by hanging on to the problems and talking about them from every angle like it is the worst problem in the world, and their house could have collapsed on their heads any minute. :thumbup:
When I said he's good at what he does, I meant that He's a good at business and enforcing the need for himself, by hanging on to the problems and talking about them from every angle like it is the worst problem in the world, and their house could have collapsed on their heads any minute. :thumbup:
I totally agree. Every electrical code violation is a burning family and every plumbing mistake equals 100's of thou of flood damage.

He's not any more knowledgable than other skilled contractors, who all do some weird ideosyncratic stuff. But, he did have the initiative to get himself on TV, and as another poster stated he is all about using legitimate, insured, well paid contractors.

Matt
I didn't know who he was till Winchester googled him for me.

Thanks, Dubya!!!
Proud To Be Blue Collar

This Old House has a value of promoting the trades and promoting new technologies that eventually we will all be using. This Old House magazine has some good articles too. Tom Silva mentioned the decline of young people entering the trades and school shops shutting down. Homes shtick is to do a lot of head shaking and tell everyone what the trade’s people or repair people, whatever the hell you want to call them, did wrong. He does this over and over throughout the show. I don't see him helping the trades to develop a professional image that we could be proud of. There are a very small group of people out there that don't do a good job. I question the lens that he uses to view society. What happens when you view the negative first in life and allow it to be the basis of your character? We want to be successful and it helps if you are pulled along in someone’s drive, someone who has passion for what they do, someone with pride in their work. When you can develop pride without malice you have grown and gained wisdom. Plato, of Roman times 5th century, said that manual labor and trades are degrading. The word he used was "banausic". He was unsympathetic to the manual worker. We don't need a TV personality degrading our work. The negative lens is a virus and has been spreading for well over 1500 years. My dad bled blue and I bleed blue. I am proud to be blue collar.
And I have cable. In fact, I have almost 400 channels.

So I'd venture to say there's probably more than few shows I haven't seen.
Good lord Charlie, 400 channels? How far are you from the beach brother? I've been to Hawaii, there's lots to look at besides TV. It's not like you're living in north Idaho, land of the pale plumper.
Or, since I'm late to the party, was it already done?
Yup. A quick search reveals this.
It's ok, Bob coulda done the same thing before making a single 'huh?' post in this thread.
Darn search button's handy, isn't it?

Mac
You guys in Idaho don't have cable tv yet.

I grew up in Idaho and we got our first TV when I was 17! I still have never seen Star Wars

now its out of choice as I think I am the only one I know that can say that.
This Old House has a value of promoting the trades and promoting new technologies that eventually we will all be using. This Old House magazine has some good articles too. Tom Silva mentioned the decline of young people entering the trades and school shops shutting down. Homes shtick is to do a lot of head shaking and tell everyone what the trade’s people or repair people, whatever the hell you want to call them, did wrong. He does this over and over throughout the show. I don't see him helping the trades to develop a professional image that we could be proud of. There are a very small group of people out there that don't do a good job. I question the lens that he uses to view society. What happens when you view the negative first in life and allow it to be the basis of your character? We want to be successful and it helps if you are pulled along in someone’s drive, someone who has passion for what they do, someone with pride in their work. When you can develop pride without malice you have grown and gained wisdom. Plato, of Roman times 5th century, said that manual labor and trades are degrading. The word he used was "banausic". He was unsympathetic to the manual worker. We don't need a TV personality degrading our work. The negative lens is a virus and has been spreading for well over 1500 years. My dad bled blue and I bleed blue. I am proud to be blue collar.

I disagree. I've watched the show often and it seems to me that Mike really does stress hiring legitmate trained professionals. I know here in PA, total hacks and straight scam artists are/were a real problem. They've just instituted contractors licensing. This is still a joke for the moment, but at least there is some accountability now for the guys trying to take advantage of peoples trust.

Yeah he shakes his head a lot. Yeah his show is based on doing rework. I feel that it does nothing but educate the consumer on how NOT to hire a contractor. A HO who knows a thing or two about quality work will understand that you can't hire a legitimate businessfor $15 dollars an hour. An educated consumer does nothing but save me the time and effort in having to stress the importance of quality work over and over in our converstions.

I support you Mike Holmes. and Thanks.:thumbup:

Later,

Josh
Reactions: Magnettica
That is so nice of you.:thumbup:
I always wondered what people were talking about when they say to "Google" this or that.

Thanks for the tutorial.:laughing:

You guys in Idaho don't have cable tv yet.

I grew up in Idaho and we got our first TV when I was 17! I still have never seen Star Wars

now its out of choice as I think I am the only one I know that can say that.
I thought I was the only one this side of the Mississippi to hold that title. :laughing:

I get the strangest looks when i say that I've never seen any of those flicks. I am keeping the streak alive now for the novelty of it.:thumbup:
Hasnt he franchised his remodel/repair biz?
I faintly recall something about this.
if so his show is great for advertising.

personally, I think he's a conceited, overzealous, funny dressed, dickhead.
I totaly agree Mike Holmes has done wonders to get rid of "hacks". The shows are informative, and support the "do it right" attitude. He also is not afraid to try new, inovative materials and techniques. So all in all I'm for Mike Holmes, wish there were more like him.

I only have one compaint, I wish he would go and write his Carpentry exams. Did you know Mike is not licenced in any trade. Kind of hurts his credibility, especialy when he promotes hiring licenced trades like plumbers and electricians. Guess he's too busy right now, but I'm bet him a Tim's he flunks the exam. :laughing:
As a woman, it is my prerogative to note that he has great biceps and is quite attractive in his overalls and bare arms (as opposed to the other stereotype contractor image of low-riding jeans and plumber's crack).

Mmmm....mmmm.

Arm Shoulder Chest Muscle Joint
There are 25 shows on the air that show how people can buy houses and do sh*tty work and make a million bucks which are detrimental to our profession.

There is one show on the air that pounds into homeowners minds that sh*tty work is being done and it shouldn't be that way.

Anybody who is pointing out that there actually is a wrong way to do something and that just closing your eyes and picking somebody based on anything but reputation and quality has ramifications is a good thing for our profession.
Reactions: rbsremodeling
As a woman, it is my prerogative to note that he has great biceps and is quite attractive in his overalls and bare arms (as opposed to the other stereotype contractor image of low-riding jeans and plumber's crack).

Mmmm....mmmm.

View attachment 20952
If you think Mike Holmes is hot you would fall out if you met me in person.
21 - 40 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.