Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mike Holmes? He seems to be a di** on the jobsite but he also appears (at least TV portrays him) to really know everything he's talking about. Is he the ultimate contractor or the beneficiary of a huge tv deal budget that allows him to throw all kinds of money at homeowner's problems. Also, who in the hell screws their studs into plates? Canadian guys open up. I'm on the fence about Mike so we'll do this democratically and I'll let the professionals make my decision for me.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was this a sensitive subject Bob or was that an honest question? Or, since I'm late to the party, was it already done?

·
Banned
846 Posts
I don't know who that is.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I have huge respect for him for one reason, no matter what the job is he advertises one thing: not hiring hacks! Every second sentence that comes out of his mouth is "make sure they are insured, make sure they are licenced" As far as I'm concerned Mike helps reduce trunk slamming and by that reduces people getting screwed over by hacks.

Now is he the best contractor in the world? Does he actually know everything? No probably not, but seeing as he's been in the business for a while I'm sure he has alot of know-how. TV skews the image of everyone, now would MH have his show display scenes of him spouting order on something he knows nothing about.....probably not.

From what I've seen on his show he constantly brings in other professionls for jobs he is not an expert on IE landscaping, electrical, masonry etc. And gets them to explaine why they do such things. Despite the fact there is alot of redundency in his work for camera appeal I think he is helping our industry (and getting rich at the same time).

And I agree who the hell glues and screws studs in place! I have seen him and his crew on makeover programs using nailguns so I assume the screwing is STRICTLY for his DeWalt sponsorship and selling impact drivers.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, but Dewalt makes a framing nailer so did they have overstock on impact drivers, or is that some subliminal way of making us think we're not doing something correctly?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes but we're doing something that benefits society while spreading the HIV virus, at least I feel, may be (and I stress that) contradictory to the continuing success of the human species. I could be wrong....God knows I have been most of the time.

·
Banned
846 Posts
Really. Who the hell are you talking about?

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Yes but we're doing something that benefits society while spreading the HIV virus, at least I feel, may be (and I stress that) contradictory to the continuing success of the human species. I could be wrong....God knows I have been most of the time.
7 posts out of the first 14.That has to be some kind of record....:laughing:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You guys in Idaho don't have cable tv yet. In Ohio we're certainly not ahead of the curve, but Jesus. Tell you what, send me your address, and I'll convert the first few seasons to beta-max and you can see for yourself. Apart from sarcasm he's got an hour-long show on TLC(now he used to be on on the HOME network frequently) Saturday morning at 7:eek:o and 8:00 EST. He comes on a bit strong, but I think any contractor grows to appreciate what the show is about.

·
Banned
846 Posts
In Idaho were so advanced we don't even watch cable or satellite television anymore. We stream news and entertainment on our laptops. Soon, directly into our brains. Having a television in your home is so 2006.

Thank you for the web link Winny. You rock.

Reactions: CYB

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JumboJack, you'll have to clarify before issuing that laughing face. I know I'm new but please specify one post I've been wrong on.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts