Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I was doing some demo for a general contractor on a little restaurant. Tearing out sheetrock to get to the framing. I always try to move slow and careful doing that stuff but this time one 12" piece of sheet rock fell on a 1/2 inch pvc pipe. The owner of the restaurant wouldn't close it so the water was on. Ran to the truck and got my watermain shutoff tool (I come prepared) got to the main and it was frozen shut with ice. My quick thinking coworker grabbed a sledge and broke it out. So now it's damage assesment time. The restaurant is flooded upstairs and down. Oh wait what's that? The restaurant next door is flooded too? Oh wait what's that the restaurant two doors down is flooded as well? Awesome stuff.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
It was new years eve (during the day) years ago. I didnt scedule any work so I could go over to my grandparents house and do some odds and ends they needed done. One of the jobs was replacing a couple old leaky valves in the basement and adding a main shut off valve after the meter, that was acctually useable. Well I sweated all the valves in and everything went well, until now! I turned the existing main back on and noticed the packing nut on the valve was dripping. The water service was ancient, it was a lead line. I went to just tighten the packing nut , thinking to myself be very very careful!! and bam the brass nipple on the valve broke right off!! SO I have street pressure gushing into the basement It was a little embarasing. Luckily the head of the burough lived up the street, we were able to get the curb box shut off.

Another one from my dumber days:laughing: Me and my dad were installing a huge formica countertop. I was screwing it in, a couple spots needed shorter screws, but I was too lazy to go to the truck and thought I'll just run the screw on a little angle. That should make it short enough, well needless to say the tip poked right through the center of a 5'x12' custom top. I bought myself a nice countertop that day, my dad was a little ticked too:laughing:

Dave

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Just out of highschool and thought I knew everything:rolleyes: went up on a wet cedar roof to fix a leak. I just made it to the peak and set my toolbag down when my feet zipped out from under me. THUD and now I'm slowly ... sliding...down ... the .. roof .. at an ever increasing speed grasping at anything I can heading for the edge and.............
I did'nt remember there being a page wire fence down there... I fell on both sides of it:blink: standing up... kinda more likely crouching.... speaking with a high pitched squeeky groan. I heard something thumping and sliding down the roof:001_huh: wondering what that was? looked up just in time to see my hammer heading straight for my head:(
Not doubting you but that seems a tad bit far fetched...

41 - 45 of 45 Posts