Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Ebbo, good answer!

I could elaborate but the list goes back to the '60's and nobody would want to read that book.

·
Registered
107 Posts
went out to measure a rubber roof and then got all the material showed up to drop the material and the owner was there so i said" heres your roof "then he says "roof?im not getting a roof".so i call the boss and he's as confused as me.so he calls the salesman and the salesman tells him that the wording on the contract only meant to be careful on the "rubber over garage".

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
The dumbest thing I ever did was a favor for a neighbor. Remember no good deed goes unpunished. She was having problems with her oil boiler. It was an ancient steam boiler. anyway I started it up and flipped back the ignition transformer to take a look at the flame and to see if it was spitting oil instead of burning cleanly. The only useable observation port on the boiler was through the burner tube. I leaned over the opening and managed to put my head on the ingnition transformer terminals. remember this is an ancient boiler even in 1972 and had a continuous ignition. anyway I woke up several feet away from the boiler about 10 minutes later I was told. Damm shock knocked me out.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
According to my wife I'm good for a few of these a day!

Just a little levity, usually it's only once or twice a day. According to her.

Tomorrow it will be too much football (Fins and that Yankee team), food and beer. She will consider me retarded. I really should have married a local girl.

·
Banned
538 Posts
this isnt job related but it sure is stupid. i was i think 12, i was laying on the couch one night bored out of my mind, it was a school night. for some reason or another there was an industrial rubber band in the basement. so, there i was, laying on the couch with an industrial rubber band. i then proceeded to put the rubber band around my head, and then around the bottom of my feet. i then began stretching my feet and then letting them go limp so i could feel the tension of the rubber band pull my feet ( dont ask, i have no f-n clue what i was doing ). i did this for about 5 minutes, and then just kind of forgot it was on. i go to get up, and the rubber band slips off my feet, and before i even realized what happened, the rubber band slapped me across my eyes, causing them to swell shut for the night.

dont put industrial rubber bands around your head and feet. it will never do anything and you wind up looking stupid too.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Dumbest may have been standing one rung too low on aladder, then grabing a 5 Gal. bucket that was fuller than I thought. Glad it was latex. I looked like Casper. It was 40 degrees, adn Jack came around the house to find Pat hosing me off. He stared, thought about for a few minutes, and said "I aint' gonna ask." and went back around shaking his head. ROFLMAO.
It wasn't funny that day. Is now. Happened about 35-40 years ago.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Plenty of stupid stuff in my world!

I was asked to do a"favor for a friend" job in Cicero.
Street parking in a rather IFFY neighborhood .

I decided to pack one tool bag and take the open pick-up.
My friend had a punch list of odds and ends on a pizza place he had just purchased.

Milwaukee hole shooter,torch and plumbing tools,sheet metal tools ,socket set and any thing else that I could jamb into the one bag.

Fast forward to the end of the day-------Tired, hungry long drive to get home.

Last job was to assemble some work tables,nice pile of cardboard--
Lets see--dumpster way out back and down the alley-3 trips

Empty pick up just outside the door--Great idea!!!

I'll just weight it down with my big tool bag--------

Rush hour on the Eisenhower is slow, I made it to Hillside before I got her up to 50--Yep-- the cardboard launched the tool bag into 6 lanes of rush hour traffic---Hopeless to grab so much as a screwdriver--:laughing::laughing:

·
Baltimore Electrician
1,249 Posts
More than once I've taken my pouch, cordless drill, even ladders and a bunch of other tools out of my work van to do something around my house, only to drive to the jobsite Monday morning and leave all my good tools at home.

I do carry a spare set of old tools, but they're dull, rusty and worn out.
Whenever I do that, I clip the van keys to my tool belt. That way I can't leave without my tools.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
I was asked to do a"favor for a friend" job in Cicero.
Street parking in a rather IFFY neighborhood .

I decided to pack one tool bag and take the open pick-up.
My friend had a punch list of odds and ends on a pizza place he had just purchased.

Milwaukee hole shooter,torch and plumbing tools,sheet metal tools ,socket set and any thing else that I could jamb into the one bag.

Fast forward to the end of the day-------Tired, hungry long drive to get home.

Last job was to assemble some work tables,nice pile of cardboard--
Lets see--dumpster way out back and down the alley-3 trips

Empty pick up just outside the door--Great idea!!!

I'll just weight it down with my big tool bag--------

Rush hour on the Eisenhower is slow, I made it to Hillside before I got her up to 50--Yep-- the cardboard launched the tool bag into 6 lanes of rush hour traffic---Hopeless to grab so much as a screwdriver--:laughing::laughing:
That was you?:laughing:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just out of highschool and thought I knew everything:rolleyes: went up on a wet cedar roof to fix a leak. I just made it to the peak and set my toolbag down when my feet zipped out from under me. THUD and now I'm slowly ... sliding...down ... the .. roof .. at an ever increasing speed grasping at anything I can heading for the edge and.............
I did'nt remember there being a page wire fence down there... I fell on both sides of it:blink: standing up... kinda more likely crouching.... speaking with a high pitched squeeky groan. I heard something thumping and sliding down the roof:001_huh: wondering what that was? looked up just in time to see my hammer heading straight for my head:(

·
Registered
116 Posts
Oh man I got a doosy.. Didnt actually happen to me but I was at the jobsite when it happened. The septic tank guys were doing some work, unrelated to what we were doing there. Well the lid was off and one of their laborers was leaning over looking in, will apparently he had his cell phone in his shirt pocket.....guess you know where this is going ....yes it fell out and he struggles to grab it and ...splash! Total nose dive.... I have never laughed so hard in my life.....

·
Registered
805 Posts
I think I have blocked most of mine out. Selective amnesia is what they call it.
I do recall a couple of stories I heard from other contractors.

One time,
A siding installer installed siding on the wrong house. He realized his error too late, finished up and called the owner of the house...a doctor. Owner said too bad, so sad and refused to reimburse anything for the siding. Apparently the houses were similar and both were unoccupied.

Many years ago...
A story a plumber told me. He got a call from a homeowner complaining of having dirty, smelly, water coming out of their faucets.
He went out and sure enough the water had an odor and an oily residue to it.
This left the plumber scratching his head, because the HO was recently put on city water, so it wasn't the well. In fact, the city crew was still out in front of the house working.
So, the plumber went out to chat with them. As they discussed the problem, a realization apparently took place...the city had tapped a high-pressure sewer line and was pumping sewage into the water supply of the house.
I don't know how many days this went on but even one day would be horrifying.
I've actually heard of this happening one other time since that.

Guys be careful out there...it seems there is always an opportunity for something to go wrong.

rj

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Not work related but happened yesterday. Me and my nine year old son were putting stakes in the ground for Christmas lights and my daughter (seven years old) wants to help but there are only so many tools. So, figuring I'll let her have a swing, get tired and do something else, I hand her the two lb mallet and stand beside her/behind her to direct her aim. Aim is on. Forgot to mention to keep here eyes on her target as she swung, missed the stake and following through, nailed me in the left...er....uhm...side of the leg.:blink:

That smiley was the look on my face. I quickly grabbed myself and went down like 250 lbs of agony. My grunt of pain suprised my daughter, who jerked the mallet back, let go and luckily, only the handle made contact with my son's nether regions and the head hit him in the stomach. He went down too. There we were, me and the boy rolling around on the grass in the front yard with my daughter not knowing what just happened and neither myself or my boy being able to voice our opinions.

My daughter is now assigned the task of stringing popcorn together so we can make garlands INSIDE the house.

Yes, it still hurts right now.:sad:

·
Nepster
171 Posts
When I was working for my uncle a few years back we had this goofball guy working for us. It was the end of the day and my uncle asked this guy the load up all the ladders while we talked with the homeowner about a job well done. So, we get in the truck and head back to the shop with all the equipment loaded up. My uncle pulls on to Rt. 1 in Rehoboth (65mph speed limit road). Well, the light ahead turns red and steps on the brakes and all ladders on the rack slide right off the front of the truck. It was funny about 45 minutes after we were dodging cars while picking up all the ladders.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Many years ago a company I worked for had a troll of a superintendent. He was asked to bring the frig from one model home that was closing to another about 15 miles away. Had a Ford 350 with a dump bed that he was bringing it over on. Showed up at the new model home which was also our office, walked inside and declared "I brought the frig over". We walked outside only to ask what he had done with it.

This buffoon had stood the frig up in the back of the truck, did not strap it down then proceeded to drive at breakneck speed (the only way he knew how to drive) down a very windy, hilly road. The most retarded thing was he had the audacity to be amazed that it was not still on the truck. We found the twisted hunk of sheet metal several miles away and did not even bother to stop; someone had already moved it off the road so it stayed a few days as a reminder of just how stupid he was.

Unfortunately, that was not the only thing this boy did. I could on for days and days. Makes me wonder what pics he had of the owner for him not to be fired.

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
I just installed some custom glass on Friday to finish up a bathroom. The customer wanted to do some of the work including painting, trim, and installing the vanity and toilet.
As the glass was a week late, I decided to be a nice guy and offered to help install the vanity and toilet for him and went over Sunday afternoon.

As I was finishing up the vanity my customer said, "I'll cut the pipe to put the shut-off on for the toilet. I had my head in the vanity when he said "uh, Mike, where is the water supply for the toilet?"

Well, I just about had a coronary when I looked over and saw that we had forgot to run the pipe out of the wall!!

20 years doing bathrooms - never forgot something like that before!!

I suggested to the customer that I could add another shut-off under the vanity, drill a hole through the side, and run a garden hose to the toilet:whistling, but he seemed to want it where it was supposed to be!!

Of course, we had gutted and re-drywalled the bathroom but luckily I did know roughly where the pipe was.

I went over today, opened up a small hole in the wall, installed the pipe, and patched - all the while thanking the man upstairs that we didn't intend on running the pipe through the (new) tile floor!!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts