Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A customer butcher your work?
I installed a door in a badement where just a window was before. That means cutting the poured foundation etc. Was an old home that had the foundation redone. Well they didn't raise the house for a deeper basement. Had to order a custom size door shorter than a standared door. It was a friend of a friend and saw the HO at my friends house an invited me back to see his paint job on this door.
The HO was so proud of his work. IT looked like hell, fingure painting it could have looked better. IT was bright white, with runs and light spots showing through. Paint on the lockset hinges and window.
Cole

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Yup painting seem to be one of the biggest thing that HO's think they can do themselves! Then it ends up making your work look like crap!

Dave

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Yep, it aggrivates the He*& out of me.

They put up crown during the construction phase that looks like *^(*^ or they add a bullnose to your tile back splash that looks horrible.

I'm thinking about adding a line to the contract, at least wait until I can take pics of my work.

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
Yeah, but the trouble often is that they represent the ENTIRE job as something you did. And we all know most people only see the final surface. Lousy advertising.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
Yeah, but the trouble often is that they represent the ENTIRE job as something you did. And we all know most people only see the final surface. Lousy advertising.

Exactly.

I get several calls a year with people wanting me to sand their hardwood floors & let them finish them. I always decline because there is no way they're gonna do a good enough job to satisfy me. My trailer sat in their driveway, so anyone that sees the finished product will believe that's the quality of work I sign off on, & there goes my referral. No thank you.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Remember the porch restoration I did as Bubble Boy?

I remembered some of you asking who was going to paint...

Well here's what happened when the HO got a paint brush in their hand...............:censored::furious::mad:

my crew :cry::cry::cry::cry: they will never be the same

·
Registered
1,462 Posts

That's why I take lots of photos- before, during & final.

Even with all that, we can't control what the HO does after we're gone.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Yes-customers butcher their pro jobs all the time.

MOSTLY, when they say they will handle their "own painting".

They dont caulk, fill nail holes, prime, prep, etc. It makes the whole job look sloppy and because they did it themselves, they are proud of it no matter what it looks like. (most everyone else notices the problems and are too polite to say anything to them)

(Dont even get me started on tile backsplash, base, shoe, and casing)

·
Banned
538 Posts
Yes-customers butcher their pro jobs all the time.

MOSTLY, when they say they will handle their "own painting".

They dont caulk, fill nail holes, prime, prep, etc. It makes the whole job look sloppy and because they did it themselves, they are proud of it no matter what it looks like. (most everyone else notices the problems and are too polite to say anything to them)

(Dont even get me started on tile backsplash, base, shoe, and casing)
do it yourselfer trim people are the worst. never cut right, MIGHT have a nice 45 degree cut if they have half a brain. i've seen it just butted up against each other in the corner.

i'm sure everyone here has seen casing used as base too. that one always gets me. my personal favorite is the self painters though. they think painting is just picking out a color and moving a brush around. especially doors, never go the way the lines are suppose to, do maybe 1 coat, get it all over the hinges and knobs..... oh well :laughing:

·
Banned
306 Posts
Ayup, Had a customer prime over my third coat of mud, before I sanded it. Ever try to sand drywall after its painted? Doesn't work at all. Had to skim coat half of it and come back again. No upcharge then, they meant well...

Next customer who does it, will pay. I'm not as nice now.

Oh, 250 posts! Think I'm gonna poke my head into the basement, and maybe clean the place up... :sailor:

·
Registered
254 Posts
3 way dimmers seem to perplex homeowners the most, they usually put a dimmer at each end and more often mess up the wiring so that they both have to be on or off to work the light. They think I mark up dimmers and they'll save money if they DIY.

Customers think everything is so easy and are unable to recognize when their amateur efforts have awful results. They will do the most ridiculous things and gloat about their craftsmanship for years. It's demoralizing in a way, I mean, why work so hard to do a great job for someone who not only dismisses what you do as menial labor, but takes immense pride in the whacktacular disasters they turn out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
3 way dimmers seem to perplex homeowners the most, they usually put a dimmer at each end and more often mess up the wiring so that they both have to be on or off to work the light. They think I mark up dimmers and they'll save money if they DIY.

Customers think everything is so easy and are unable to recognize when their amateur efforts have awful results. They will do the most ridiculous things and gloat about their craftsmanship for years. It's demoralizing in a way, I mean, why work so hard to do a great job for someone who not only dismisses what you do as menial labor, but takes immense pride in the whacktacular disasters they turn out.
1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 3 characters.
:furious: Just typed a long response, hit submit, it disappears and I get this????

Anyway, the only time I don't mark up material is when it's for family.

We usually get called to repair HO butchering after it has taken place. It usually starts with a pretty funny line like "It shouldn't be too bad, I did most of it but I don't like to hook up the wires" Or "I ran all the wires for you already" but what they don't tell you is that all the wires are 6 inches too short, run improperly and they are 14/2 because it was cheaper and they have it set up to tie into an existing 20 amp circuit.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Worked for a taper one summer, Home owner started the job did first coat then called us.
You can guess the rest of the story.

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
The one that made me the sickest was about 6500 sf of exterior cedar siding we culled, and sorted through to get graceful blends and matches. It was beautiful!

Within a month of finishing the house, the homeowner painted it all Battleship Grey.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts