Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of the oddest commissions I've ever been asked to do. It's a stage for the size of a pub band. The owner wants it to be able to break it down and store. I have no place that I know of to go and look at what others have done before. Has anyone ever done one?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Never done one before but how about styled after one of those assembly tables that Gus Dering uses. Slotted 3/4 ply (not osb)these figured right will square and plum themselves add some cleats screw down underlayment.This will all knock down easy and flat and store on a dolly in a closet

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Never done one before but how about styled after one of those assembly tables that Gus Dering uses. Slotted 3/4 ply (not osb)these figured right will square and plum themselves add some cleats screw down underlayment.This will all knock down easy and flat and store on a dolly in a closet
As much as I would love it if this turns out to be a great idea, I suspect it may not be.

Those clamping horses that I think you are referring to are not that stable laterally. To make them easy to break down they have to have a little slop. So they sway a little right to left.

A couple years ago I made a break down table extension for the big Holiday meals. I put a small angle on the legs for them to lean towards each other. That helped but I still feel I need to throw som screws in it to stabilize it.

Aren't there products just for this purpose?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've done a drum riser before, and have some plans in my head for a break-down drum riser, just never got the chance to build it. How soon are you needing to do this? If you can give me a few days, I can get it drawn up in sketch-up for you. Just putting in some OT this weekend, and have a few neighborhood parties to go to.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
How tall is it supposed to be?
A stage needs to be able to take
some bouncing and pounding.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
My Dad used to make portable stages for traveling fashion shows,

He used 3/4 plywood slotted like the dividers in a liquor box.

The stages he made were 4 feet tall,a pub might only need 2 feet.

Amazingly strong .no tools to assemble. stack flat to store.--MIKE--

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts

That could work! :thumbsup:

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
A perfect excuse to buy a nice set
of plywood sized router bits! :thumbsup::laughing:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts

I like your dad, he is a very wise man.:thumbsup:

Obviously he got it to work so, It works.

A 2 ft square grid seems like it would work. Do you remember what the pattern looked like?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I imagine the grid was about two feet. that was back around 1960ish.

The decking had some square cleats that dropped into the openings and allowed a few screws to be installed to lock the top down.

My dad was s store display man ,when I was a kid.

He made more interesting stuff in his simple shop ,amazing imagination----MIKE--

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

I can't picture it since I don't know what the dividers look like in a liquor box. It sounds perfect, but I can't picture it.

Edit: Takes me awhile, but I got it now. I've seen kids stuff like this. Almost like a honeycomb thing, right?

I am guessing it's only going to be 2, maybe 3 feet off the ground. I am going to meet the guy tomorrow about the size of it, plan wise. He was saying something about wrapping it around the DJ booth and wheelchair ramp :blink:

I was initially thinking about bed rail hardware

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I've seen some portable fashion show runways that were nothing more than MDO with a steel C-channel perimeter and heavy duty folding steel legs. They may well have been nothing more than a high quality folding buffet table.:thumbsup:

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've seen some portable fashion show runways that were nothing more than MDO with a steel C-channel perimeter and heavy duty folding steel legs. They may well have been nothing more than a high quality folding buffet table.:thumbsup:
Like this right? I have been hunting around today for portable stages to see what I can use. These damn things are expensive!

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Like this right? I have been hunting around today for portable stages to see what I can use. These damn things are expensive!

That is exactly what I was trying to describe. They were able to support a full Can-Can line at the dance company fundraiser. I'd say they would carry a band and their equipment.:laughing:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Hi Framerman,What we need is WILLIE T, That man can draw a fine picture!

I think you have got the idea,Ply wood grid,honey comb. Simple and strong.

WILLIE WE NEED A PICTURE!

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
This is one of the oddest commissions I've ever been asked to do. It's a stage for the size of a pub band. The owner wants it to be able to break it down and store. I have no place that I know of to go and look at what others have done before. Has anyone ever done one?
I did some work for Wenger Corp recently. They manufacture all that kind of stuff out of aluminum. They also have a construction co that installs it all. They deliver everything with a big rig and the installers assemble everything on-site, so the stuff is made to fold up and be stored and reassembled easily.
http://www.wengercorp.com/

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts

A net,ball and paddles and you are all set.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I think you could lighten this up some. All parts would not have to be full width.
But this is made with identical parts.

stage1.jpg

stage2.jpg

1 - 20 of 52 Posts