Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of the oddest commissions I've ever been asked to do. It's a stage for the size of a pub band. The owner wants it to be able to break it down and store. I have no place that I know of to go and look at what others have done before. Has anyone ever done one?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Never done one before but how about styled after one of those assembly tables that Gus Dering uses. Slotted 3/4 ply (not osb)these figured right will square and plum themselves add some cleats screw down underlayment.This will all knock down easy and flat and store on a dolly in a closet

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Never done one before but how about styled after one of those assembly tables that Gus Dering uses. Slotted 3/4 ply (not osb)these figured right will square and plum themselves add some cleats screw down underlayment.This will all knock down easy and flat and store on a dolly in a closet
As much as I would love it if this turns out to be a great idea, I suspect it may not be.

Those clamping horses that I think you are referring to are not that stable laterally. To make them easy to break down they have to have a little slop. So they sway a little right to left.

A couple years ago I made a break down table extension for the big Holiday meals. I put a small angle on the legs for them to lean towards each other. That helped but I still feel I need to throw som screws in it to stabilize it.

Aren't there products just for this purpose?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've done a drum riser before, and have some plans in my head for a break-down drum riser, just never got the chance to build it. How soon are you needing to do this? If you can give me a few days, I can get it drawn up in sketch-up for you. Just putting in some OT this weekend, and have a few neighborhood parties to go to.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
How tall is it supposed to be?
A stage needs to be able to take
some bouncing and pounding.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
My Dad used to make portable stages for traveling fashion shows,

He used 3/4 plywood slotted like the dividers in a liquor box.

The stages he made were 4 feet tall,a pub might only need 2 feet.

Amazingly strong .no tools to assemble. stack flat to store.--MIKE--

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts

That could work! :thumbsup:

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
A perfect excuse to buy a nice set
of plywood sized router bits! :thumbsup::laughing:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts

I like your dad, he is a very wise man.:thumbsup:

Obviously he got it to work so, It works.

A 2 ft square grid seems like it would work. Do you remember what the pattern looked like?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I imagine the grid was about two feet. that was back around 1960ish.

The decking had some square cleats that dropped into the openings and allowed a few screws to be installed to lock the top down.

My dad was s store display man ,when I was a kid.

He made more interesting stuff in his simple shop ,amazing imagination----MIKE--

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

I can't picture it since I don't know what the dividers look like in a liquor box. It sounds perfect, but I can't picture it.

Edit: Takes me awhile, but I got it now. I've seen kids stuff like this. Almost like a honeycomb thing, right?

I am guessing it's only going to be 2, maybe 3 feet off the ground. I am going to meet the guy tomorrow about the size of it, plan wise. He was saying something about wrapping it around the DJ booth and wheelchair ramp :blink:

I was initially thinking about bed rail hardware

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I've seen some portable fashion show runways that were nothing more than MDO with a steel C-channel perimeter and heavy duty folding steel legs. They may well have been nothing more than a high quality folding buffet table.:thumbsup:

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've seen some portable fashion show runways that were nothing more than MDO with a steel C-channel perimeter and heavy duty folding steel legs. They may well have been nothing more than a high quality folding buffet table.:thumbsup:
Like this right? I have been hunting around today for portable stages to see what I can use. These damn things are expensive!

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Like this right? I have been hunting around today for portable stages to see what I can use. These damn things are expensive!

That is exactly what I was trying to describe. They were able to support a full Can-Can line at the dance company fundraiser. I'd say they would carry a band and their equipment.:laughing:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Hi Framerman,What we need is WILLIE T, That man can draw a fine picture!

I think you have got the idea,Ply wood grid,honey comb. Simple and strong.

WILLIE WE NEED A PICTURE!

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
This is one of the oddest commissions I've ever been asked to do. It's a stage for the size of a pub band. The owner wants it to be able to break it down and store. I have no place that I know of to go and look at what others have done before. Has anyone ever done one?
I did some work for Wenger Corp recently. They manufacture all that kind of stuff out of aluminum. They also have a construction co that installs it all. They deliver everything with a big rig and the installers assemble everything on-site, so the stuff is made to fold up and be stored and reassembled easily.
http://www.wengercorp.com/

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts

A net,ball and paddles and you are all set.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I think you could lighten this up some. All parts would not have to be full width.
But this is made with identical parts.

Product Yellow Cardboard Pyramid Architecture

Blue Cobalt blue Line Net Electric blue

1 - 20 of 52 Posts