Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Steve
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was helping out a landscaper who shattered a tempered fixed window over a garden tub while weedeating. The homeowner tells me at 11:00 that I will need to quit working until 2:30 PM when their 18 month old awakes from a nap. WTF, the window has been shattered on the outside glass for 2 months, we finally schedule a day to replace it, and I get NAPTIME.
I called the landscaper, told him I would eat an hour of the time but he was on the hook for the rest, I went and bought more materials for the trim and cooled off. It was a bad enough that the window had fins all the way around behind the brick on the outside and sheetrock instead of wood trim on the inside....
Oh well, 1st time for this one for me, I will ask about nap time when estimating jobs from now on.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I did a couple bookcases for a friend of a friend a few years ago.

I set up a time to look and measure, I think it was for about 2PM. I'm on my way over in the truck and I get a call from her. "I was wondering if you are gonna be here closer to 2:15 or 2:00". I tell her I'm in the truck and I'll be there pretty much right at 2:00.

"Well the little hell on wheels didn't go down for her nap until 1:15 and she will need to be down until 2:15".

"I'll be real quiet"

"Yeah, that's not gonna work. Please don't come til at least 2:15"

I did the job but when the install date came you would have thought we were scheduling the space shuttle launch.

This broad was so OCD she could be the poster child for the group. I felt sorry for the kid for many reasons.

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
I got 3 kids 10, 6, 2 and i would never tell someone to leave for nap time. Hell i get my most productive work done around the house when the 2 year old is taking her nap. But we've never been a "oh my god the baby is sleeping you have to be quiet" and i can say our kids always took a nap when they needed to. Maybe im just lucky. :rolleyes:

·
4,617 Posts
I'm sorry, but anyone that thinks you have be quiet around a sleeping baby has never been around a sleeping baby for very long.

I can say from great experience that when children go down for the count, they are DOWN for the count.

We've run into this issue before and my pat answer is this. We work from 8:00AM until about 4:00PM. The job site must be made available to us to work or you're in violation of the contract. That has penalties associated with it.

Reactions: CScalf

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,980 Posts
Two words: Grandma's place.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I'm sorry, but anyone that thinks you have be quiet around a sleeping baby has never been around a sleeping baby for very long.

I can say from great experience that when children go down for the count, they are DOWN for the count.

We've run into this issue before and my pat answer is this. We work from 8:00AM until about 4:00PM. The job site must be made available to us to work or you're in violation of the contract. That has penalties associated with it.
It is just a flag that you are dealing with an OCD control freak. I would think long and hard on a long term remodel with one.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Throw this puppy in your contract and you'll find out how important nap time is to them if they are willing to pay $60 an hour for the little tyke.

Access to the job site

Customer agrees and understands that access to the jobsite must be provided between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday, for the duration of this job. If at any time access is not available to the Contractor for any reason, the Customer agrees to reimburse the Contractor for expenses incurred for travel and lost time at the rate of $60.00 per man-hour.

·
Registered
293 Posts
erm... ive been left with doggy detail several times... :blink::blink::blink:, guess my customers like me to much :shutup:

the last time I was brining my shop vac inside to tiddy up a bit before I left.. Well, fkn god damn dogs saw me coming and all 4 bolted out the door after I opened it... I about ****..

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
As Mike and Double A have stated, it's on their dime. I get paid no matter what. If they want to pay me to sit on my arse, then so be it. I WILL get paid.

·
hurtlocker
555 Posts
I was at a house working for a nice wealthy couple.
I had been there on a few diffrent occasions
This day I was to be there all day.
At 10 wife comes down and says she is going to go somwhere
I say as I usually do ok great i will clean up and lock up when I am done
she looks at me funny no you need to leave to
I had no idea what to say I packed up and left

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
erm... ive been left with doggy detail several times... :blink::blink::blink:, guess my customers like me to much :shutup:

the last time I was brining my shop vac inside to tiddy up a bit before I left.. Well, fkn god damn dogs saw me coming and all 4 bolted out the door after I opened it... I about ****..
From our list of owners responsibilities in the proposal;

Owner will supervise all pets and children and not allow them into work areas.
I think I'll add in Mike's also.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,216 Posts
I'm sorry, but i have to call you on that one. Our first-born was colicky for about three months. He bawled and carried on for [seems like] at least 20 hours out of every day. He would only fall asleep when totally exhausted, and usually wasn't out for more than about 15-30 minutes.

I garndurntee you that if you had a kid like that, you'd be ready to take a shotgun to anyone who so much as dropped a pin while he was actually sleeping. :furious:

But I'll admit that in most cases you're right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts