Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I've just registered here, I'm an Electrician from England, think I'm the first one here. I've been working as an Electrician for 9 years now, not sure if my experience will be much good here but i'm interested in the way you guys do things in the states.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi KJ,
Welcome to the forum. Probably pretty similar except for the difference in voltage levels. Always was curious as to why that was the case. I had a chance to visit Germany and check out some remodeling work going on there while on vacation, but never England. Seemed everything was brick, block or stone with a minimum of wood. Is it pretty much the same there?

Tim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Varies from site to site really depending on the builder. I know houses in the States are mainly Timber Frame, we get a few of those over here now and it's becoming more popular, but most houses are still traditional brick/block on the exterior walls usually with metal or timber stud/partition walls used inside.

Thing with Timber frame over here is that a few years back there was a TV documentary that really had a go at one of our big house builders, slating it's use of Timber frame, so it stopped being used because people were wary of buying them, but it's making a comeback now and we have very strict regulations to stick to in them.

·
Electrical Contractor
744 Posts
Welcome KJ from one sparky to another, Enjoy the site. I can lead to other sites that are just electricians if you want. Just let me know

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jbfan said:
Welcome KJ from one sparky to another, Enjoy the site. I can lead to other sites that are just electricians if you want. Just let me know
Sure, why not. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Welcome KJ! Where in England are you? I used to get over there quite often, my former father in law had a house in Churston on the south coast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts