Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trim is on a slant, caulking not "rubbed down" then painted, the wall paint on trim is thick with runs. I tried to scrape it off and it pulled the wood off. The base and doors had plaster on them then painted. I had to actually strip the trim, because of excess amount of paint used plus over the plaster. This guy should have had some rags....

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was only kidding. As I hope you are. I'd laugh if someone offered me 9 bucks an hour to work on their house. Maybe if you're working for a contractor as an employee but just maybe then.
Yeah I was kidding. 10?....It may have been my mother-in-(outlaw) that is what she wanted to pay me forever. Finally one day I told her the going rate. I don't get much work from her anymore.:thumbup:

·
Registered
Custom
13,964 Posts
Yeah I was kidding. 10?....It may have been my mother-in-(outlaw) that is what she wanted to pay me forever. Finally one day I told her the going rate. I don't get much work from her anymore.:thumbup:
Yeah, but did that mean she expected better presents at Christmas and birthday or did it mean she sent you care packages?... :whistling

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I only work for my mother in law on the weekends or evenings because I don't charge her anything. She cuts my hair for free and feeds me home cooked meals all of the time.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only work for my mother in law on the weekends or evenings because I don't charge her anything. She cuts my hair for free and feeds me home cooked meals all of the time.
Yeah, I agree. I try to work free as well. I just installed cat 5 cable in her offices. Saved her about 5 grand. She bought me a motorcycle. :clap: HuMMM She is actually a wonderful mother in law.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Trim is on a slant, caulking not "rubbed down" then painted, the wall paint on trim is thick with runs. I tried to scrape it off and it pulled the wood off. The base and doors had plaster on them then painted. I had to actually strip the trim, because of excess amount of paint used plus over the plaster. This guy should have had some rags....
I could write a book, with pics, about all the hack handyman chit I've fixed. :jester:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I miss my mother in law :sad: R.I.P.

She always stuffed cash in my pocket every time I fixed something for her.
Sorry to hear that. My mother in law is pretty awesome. She really did think carpenters only made 10-12 per hour. She use to say "I'll give you 10 cash to do this". One day I laughed and said everyone has been wanting to pay carpenters 10 for the last 10 years. The next week she gave the two handymen, That work for her, each a two dollar raise. Lol. I think they should buy me a drink:laughing:

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
I miss my mother in law :sad: R.I.P.

She always stuffed cash in my pocket every time I fixed something for her.
My mom does the same thing to me. And before I leave, I find a place to hide it so she'll find it later. And then sometimes she'll call when she finds it and say "I'll get this money in your pocket sooner or later" and I'll say "Yea.....ok...good luck :) "

It's like a ritual now.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
My grandmother always stuffs cash in my pocket too whenever I do wok for her. Not much, and she gets awful offended if I try and hide it there.

She only pulls that trick when I do carpentry for her though, fortunately. I do a lot of other stuff to help them out.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Yall don't always have to make fun of my work. Whats wrong with doing hack jobs? Heck I only charged them $10 an hour.
OKIE's LYING.....He subed it to me.... and only paid me $4/hour.... but it was enough for two cases of beer while doin the job..... I figure we're even:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
OKIE's LYING.....He subed it to me.... and only paid me $4/hour.... but it was enough for two cases of beer while doin the job..... I figure we're even:thumbup:
But the 6 bucks an hour I made off of you sure was nice. I finally got to buy that pack of wife beaters that I have been needin.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.