Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i know that many of you are well established and can pick and choose your clients. When you started, did you pass up jobs very often. Maybe you did and i definitely see the reason to. I know in this business your work is what carries you, as with anything. Someone tell me of a similar situation where you passed up a job coming up.
P.S. Right now the highs are in the 60's. I'll try to get him to go for it now.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
When I first started, I rarely passed up any job at all. As time went on, and my name got out there and more calls came in, I was able to slowly start picking/choosing the better jobs (ie more profitable). The ones I mainly skip out on now are when I do an estimate, if I roll down the street and there are hood rats and thugs hanging out on the porches, I just keep on driving. Won't get a referral out of it, they probably can't afford me, and no one in that area will care if the work is done right or not. I can also spot these when the call comes in, just by the phone number. I will let them know I'm booked out four months, and give them a very high ballpark price. If they are still interested, then maybe it will hapen.

The most recent job I turned down was in late October, a GC I do alot of work for got in a bind, and tryed to pressure me into painting a storefront exterior. Mind you I don't do exteriors hardly ever, and when I looked at the place, it was made up of glazed masonry blocks with a glass-like finish. This would require etching or sand-blasting, and in St. Louis at that time of year, the weather starts turning ugly. I told him thanks, but no thanks.

Somebody said one time, can't remeber if it was here or somewhere else, "You will NEVER lose money on a job you didn't accept". Words to live by.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Most of the jobs I'll turn away will have to do with being truthful about scheduling. Someone will want me to committ to a start date that is earlier than I can do. I'll tell them an exact date on which I will start, come hell or highwater, and they'll tell me that such-and-such says they can start a week or two before that. Rather than tell them what they want to hear I'll stick to the date. I hate to say it, and maybe I need to change my ways, but with customers like that the other guy gets the job 8 out of 10 times and out of the 8 I'll see 7 that don't start until after the date I said I would. It's very frustrating.

·
Registered
11 Posts
thats been on my mind the last few days. im just starting out, did a few jobs but nothing going on right now. i was called to give a bid on 4 room, removing wallpaper and painting. the house is 3 years old, was bought for 642,000. a nice home! i bid 2700.00 on the job, but when i looked into the homeowners "legal" concerns with the local court (im registered on-line, can look into anyones past that had anything to do with courts in my county in a matter of minutes) they have had 4 law-suits in the past 2 years. they sued the home inspector for 25,000.00 because he missed a leaking toilet on his report, sued a lanscaper for over-trimming a front shrub (5,000.00) and 2 others that i couldn't make heads or tails of. i asked for half down as a deposite, they just called and agreed, but im thinking its going to be trouble in the long run. the bath has 17 ft. walls, another concern of mine (she wants the walls papered) she also wants me to skjip on primer, and apply 2 coats of finish to the walls where the papers coming off. i pulled back the paper - it was primed, or sized, but i know it would need some prep work after all the papers taken off.
could use the job, but i was told - theres plenty of good work out there to not need to take the bad....

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I was able to slowly start picking/choosing the better jobs (ie more profitable)
When I first started in flooring, I took everything because I needed it. But because of that, I handled some problem customers. It took up alot of my time, but I learned how to help identify potentially problem clients. Those are about the only jobs you want to avoid.
"You will NEVER lose money on a job you didn't accept". Words to live by.
If all you take are the bigger jobs, you will do fine. But if you make room for some smaller lower profit jobs and work just as hard, you will be suprised at how much income in the long run it can make.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts