Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Do you think you will be able to be an effective employee while starting up the new company? If you keep up your effectiveness with your current job, can you put in the necessary hours to be a successfull startup company?
I am sure the most successfull new business starters, are the ones that put in 100% of their time and effort, not to say it wont work, but skipping ethics, is it POSSIBLE?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm talking week end side jobs cleaning gutters and installing thermal plastic on the interiors of elderly peoples houses etc... I don't think this side thing would effect my main job any.

I'm talking a few quick bucks. Nothing serious with no overhead, but maybe a small add in the local paper.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Sounds like a good way to make some extra $$$$

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
How many of you guys have done side jobs or even had a side business while working for someone else?

-Nathan (with his hand up)

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Speedy Petey said:
That's pretty much standard procedure for guys starting out on there own.
My point exactly. Some of you have read my posts about starting my own business. This would be a way to grow very slowly, build a referral list, and when I do decide to do my own thing at full speed/full time I will be able to say "In business for X years" instead of "in business for one year" :) I'm a sneaky bun of a sitch.

I've done a few small small side jobs. I got paid $75 once to install 1 shingle. I knew my boss wouldn't touch it, and our company minimum is $250 so what the hell? I got the shingle for free by ripping it off a sample board :) I've down downspout repairs also. Same situation. I know my boss doesnt touch small junk like that and if I tell them our min price they will laugh so I get to take my girlfriend out on the town for a few minutes of my work.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
nwingate said:
How many of you guys have done side jobs or even had a side business while working for someone else?

-Nathan (with his hand up)
Many many jobs since I shut down my business and went to work for someone else. The funny part is that it's all for my bosses... and amazingly enough they have very little idea what stuff costs. They're lucky that I'm honest.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm talking week end side jobs cleaning gutters and installing thermal plastic on the interiors of elderly peoples houses etc... I don't think this side thing would effect my main job any.

I'm talking a few quick bucks. Nothing serious with no overhead, but maybe a small add in the local paper.

Nothing wrong with an employee doing some side jobs for extra money Grumpy. I like the idea:thumbsup:

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm rather new here to this bbs, but I read through this thread like five times trying to understand what was going on until I saw the dates. Kinda funny:) Curious though, how would you feel about one of YOUR employees doing this??

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I'm rather new here to this bbs, but I read through this thread like five times trying to understand what was going on until I saw the dates. Kinda funny:) Curious though, how would you feel about one of YOUR employees doing this??
I wouldn't care if one of my employees was cleaning cutters on the side to make additional money. :thumbsup:

·
Insert title
4,692 Posts
I require my installers to have the customer sign something stating that my company does not have any interest or liability for the side jobs. I do not permit them to solicit side work however it is ok if the customer asks. I have more of an interest in making the customer happy than my installers earning money.

·
Registered
475 Posts
It's been a hotly debated subject here. I personally think it is a good thing. Shows the employee wants to better his situation and has a good work ethic

Some think that employee's should not be "allowed" any side work and should be fired if they do.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Some think that employee's should not be "allowed" any side work and should be fired if they do.

What's wrong with cleaning gutters on the side especially if it's on their time & has NOTHING to do with my company at all???

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This thread is ancient. Originally posted in November of 2004. Just to update everyone on what did happen...

I started the company in 2003. I did one maybe 2 jobs, and one of which was for my condo association, and neither were competing in any way against my current employer. In 2004 I quit my job started working for myself full time.

So it is obvious that as one moves from employee to employer their outlooks change with them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts