Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to invade your forums but I am a homeowner and need to get direct contractor opinions on this vs. the DIY homeowner forums where I'm less likely to get a straight contractor's answer.

I've been bidding out my 2nd story addition and I was almost set on one contractor who is licensed, bonded and communicates very well. Then another guy came along referred by a friend, his bid was less. I checked out his framer (who I found out is a general himself) and i LOVE his work. The contractor however, it turns out ISN'T licensed... I asked for his license number for 2 days straight and he finally sent me a proposal with it on there and when I checked "his" number online it was someone else's license AND it was suspended for bond not being current. I asked him and he said "Oh that's my partners name (his name is NOWHERE as personnel) and I don't know why it's suspended, etc etc etc

Now at this point, I don't trust this guy and don't want to use him. However I REALLLY like his foundation / framer guy, who I later found out he just met himself on a referral for my job.

So he has never worked with this guy before but connected him with me thinking he'd have him do the job. Would it be ethical given the situation for me to contact the framer directly and ask him to work on my project with another contractor? Is it fair game?

Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it!

·
The Remodeler
1,535 Posts
The framer hasnt worked with the contractor yet.... Your project would be their first together... Got it..

You the homeowner can ask whatever you'd like... I personally dont think it's a problem. You want the best possible workers, and best possible finished product for all aspects of your build/remodel.

I suppose the ethics issue is between the framer and the contractor. The framer might very well turn you down to keep his relationship with the contractor solid. He might also relay your request to the contractor which could strain your relationship with that contractor... But you dont want to work with that lying bastard anyway... :D

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble but the mods will most likely lock your thread for being an HO but for what it's worth at least you were honest!:thumbsup:

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,716 Posts
It's difficult for any of us to pass judgment with so little information. I'm sure you can appreciate that there are always two sides to every story.

Clearly the guy who gave you the bum license should not be trusted. If you'd like to email me directly with more information, I can perhaps give a more intelligent answer about the ethics of hiring his framer. My gut tells me you're probably on shaky ground, or you wouldn't be asking.

Your posting is outside the scope of this forum, and will likely draw more than a few negative responses. For that reason, this thread is now closed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.