Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Captain of the Titanic
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a thing as an outsource estimating service for site work and if there is does anyone know of one in the Fairfield County Connecticut area??

·
Registered
15 Posts
There are several companies that have software as well as companies who will do your estimating for you.....prices will vary (in my area) from $300.00-$1,000.00 depending on size of project. Beware none that i have ever interviewed or used stand behind their work so if they make a huge mistake its still on you. I used a company once in Seattle area and they missed several things that would have cost me close to 100 grand! I do it all myself :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Vinnny, I can help on a per job basis, I do this quite a bit for a few other friends in the business. the fastest way for me to go is with AutoCAD drawings. If you are interested I can email you some examples of my work/take off spreadsheets.

·
Vagitarian
3,589 Posts
I use a company to do the take offs for me. I e-mail them the pdf's and they use Agtek to work the plans. I recently sent them plans for a 3 acre shopping center and they gave me a chart with all the yardage, including stripped topsoil, cuts and fills. They also gave me the sq ft of the buildings, sidewalks, lawn areas and the parking lot. They also gave me a 2D model of the site. Charged me $325.

·
Captain of the Titanic
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vinnny, I can help on a per job basis, I do this quite a bit for a few other friends in the business. the fastest way for me to go is with AutoCAD drawings. If you are interested I can email you some examples of my work/take off spreadsheets.
PM sent

·
Captain of the Titanic
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use a company to do the take offs for me. I e-mail them the pdf's and they use Agtek to work the plans. I recently sent them plans for a 3 acre shopping center and they gave me a chart with all the yardage, including stripped topsoil, cuts and fills. They also gave me the sq ft of the buildings, sidewalks, lawn areas and the parking lot. They also gave me a 2D model of the site. Charged me $325.
PM me info, thanks

·
Stud
605 Posts
I looked into getting a set up for dirt work & it was too expensive for our company size right now. On smaller jobs I do it the old fashioned way. On bigger work I use a guy that does my take-off on the side where he works.

His boss & my father go way back so he doesn't care as long as it's on his own time. He also throws some prices per unit in there for me. I could never get work with his $ values because he works for a big union company doing schools & large scale union jobs.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Is there such a thing as an outsource estimating service for site work and if there is does anyone know of one in the Fairfield County Connecticut area??
Beware Vinny - dirtwork takeoffs are highly susceptible to errors of both fact and judgement. Pricing the work is also highly dependent upon local cut/fill "balances" for any given period of time.
As an example, 6 or 7 years ago the bi-county area I work in had a glut of several million yards of dirt and if you had a job that was "heavy" it could easily cost upwards of $30/yard to dispose of common fill; even more for undesirable material. Conversely, a job that was "short" could be bid with virtually no consideration of import/fill placement cost - people would pay you to take dirt.
Personally I don't see how, in today's climate, a contractor can stay competitive and profitable using outsourced quantity takeoffs or cost estimates. In these parts at least, there's just no margin for unanticipated costs.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Good Point PipeGuy, a job I just completed had about 1000 yards of pavement to haul out. I found a local dump site that wanted the fill before I quoted the job. The trucking alone, if hauled longer distance would of made my bid a lot higher.

I think the only reason I got the job, my price was the lowest, was that I found the dump site before I quoted and that was the single largest pricing factor.

·
Captain of the Titanic
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replys men.

The problem for me (and trust me I have a sh!t load of problems) is I can do the paving estimating just fine but the site stuff is just something I havent done a lot of.

I think I can handle the physical take offs and quantity calculations. Its the how long and with what for me because I personally dont have enough experience.

We use to do some excavating work years ago and I did the estimates as well as the physical work its self and for the small stuff up to maybe a 4 acre residential site i was OK but I'm just not versed enough to do these larger jobs exceeding $1mill or $2 mill and to top it off I really dont want to do all that paperwork (very ADD).

My division manager is doing the estimating right now but we need to look at more plans to keep work going and theres no way he can look at everthing we need to be looking at.

·
Registered
15 Posts
if you can estimate paving your more then half way there........length times width times depth divide by 27........use this for ditches, cut and fill etc. Dont forget to add 25 % for swell factor.

Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
7,959 Posts
if you can estimate paving your more then half way there........length times width times depth divide by 27........use this for ditches, cut and fill etc. Dont forget to add 25 % for swell factor.

Hope this helps some.
we have cohesives here that will run tween 30-35% swell. people shouldn't be so reluctant to entertain the services of a soils engineer prior to bidding a project. they can save you a LOT of money and grief when it's all done

·
Registered
15 Posts
We use 25-30% for a good bench mark for materials in our region....the problem is we have so many different materials.

On most commercial projects there is always a soils report which helps do some degree, but like i said the materials change from glacier till to sand 100 feet from each other.

Your not digging in Kansas anymore totto :) :clap:

·
Banned
9 Posts
Yes there is!
Underground Estimating Services they are located in NYC and cover New York, New Jersey and Conneticut.
There webpage - ugeservice.com
Reliable-Accurate and Fast

·
Registered
7,959 Posts
Yes there is!
Underground Estimating Services they are located in NYC and cover New York, New Jersey and Conneticut.
There webpage - ugeservice.com
Reliable-Accurate and Fast
don't promote somebody's product or service here unless they are willing to pay the owners of this site some advertising....it's only fair

·
Registered
6 Posts
Vinny:

I'm NOT endorsing any of them but the list of earthwork takeoff service providers posted on the Resources page of my web site may be of interest to you. The direct page link that I tried to give you in this reply was blocked because I'm too new to this forum (but if you Google "Third-Party AGTEK Takeoff and Modeling Services" you'll get it). Anyway, in addition to the good advice already posted in this thread, I would suggest that you get (and check) references from any takeoff service providers that you might consider using. I hope this is of some use to you!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts