Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after being in the drywall trade for 20 years ,i have now decided to start my own buissness .i have no real experience of pricing and estimating quantitys(profesionaly anyway).can anybody advise on the best software to use for this and is there a stock percentage for waste to calculate in the final quote.
my company will be mostly in new build domestic housing.

any info will be great ,thanks gee

·
Registered
313 Posts
The best software exists in your brain, which is prolly "extra soft" since you are a drywall man, lol!

Point is that if you know how to hang it and hang with it, you ought to have a clue about pricing your work. Pricing books and such only serve as guidelines.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
gee said:
i have now decided to start my own buissness .i have no real experience of pricing and estimating quantitys.can anybody advise on the best software to use...any info will be great ,thanks gee
While good estimating is very important, you might be surprised to learn that it's not as big a deal as you might be imagining. And the value of the wasted board will be a relatively small part of the price you'll need to charge.

You obviously have some comuter skills if you're here in this forum. IMO, the first thing you want to do is get a spreadsheet application and learn how to use well enought to start creating an estimate of your anticipated annual 'overhead' costs. This will include the cost of everything that you doesn't go directly into a job to complete it or, anothert way to look at it, everything that doesn't get used up or otherwise left behind when your done. Having a good handle on your overhead cost is a great place to start getting familiar enough with the costing side of the business to make a good run at going it on your own.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts