Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to be able to do a skeleton estimate on an IPad while doing in house remodeling sales. It would be nice if I could also use this initial estimate and build a complete proposal from the in house original estimate in order to save time later. Ive done some research, but would like some input ... Thank you.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ever figure out something that works for you? I use numbers every day to do roofing estimates. I suppose I could use it for other estimates but I haven't taken the time to set it up. Numbers is great because I have a form set up where it basically ask me questions and the estimate is completed from that.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Seems to me it would be too easy to make a mistake doing them on an iPad. Maybe unless you had your unit cost prices down and they were simple estimates. But how would you give it to them? Show them on yours and then email? What if they wanted it on paper?

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
KennMacMoragh said:
Seems to me it would be too easy to make a mistake doing them on an iPad. Maybe unless you had your unit cost prices down and they were simple estimates. But how would you give it to them? Show them on yours and then email? What if they wanted it on paper?
All of the unit pricing can be changed in the app on the fly. For example if I select fascia repair I can change it from $1 a foot to $2 if it's two stories up. You can also add items that aren't in your item or service list easily. I never give paper estimates anymore and most appreciate being able to read it at work or on vacation if they have email access. The huge majority of my customers have some sort of tablet. It's very common to email the estimate to the customer at the kitchen table and have them pull out their own tablet and review it with me.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Do it same way with quickbooks and customers love it for same reasons you said. Plus in the body of the email i have a little thank you line for allowing me to bid on project.

·
Registered
543 Posts
All of the unit pricing can be changed in the app on the fly. For example if I select fascia repair I can change it from $1 a foot to $2 if it's two stories up. You can also add items that aren't in your item or service list easily. I never give paper estimates anymore and most appreciate being able to read it at work or on vacation if they have email access. The huge majority of my customers have some sort of tablet. It's very common to email the estimate to the customer at the kitchen table and have them pull out their own tablet and review it with me.
How easy is it to use apple numbers I have no experience with Excel is it easier to learn

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
WBailey1041 said:
Can they sign it that way too, or are you not getting signatures?

·
Registered
929 Posts
How easy is it to use apple numbers I have no experience with Excel is it easier to learn
Without getting into a Apple vs Microsoft debate, I found Numbers (Apple spreadsheet application) easier to use than Excel. I have several hundred task prices on spreadsheets which I create on an iMac or Mac Mini and share with the iPad through Dropbox. I routinely add completed projects in these task spreadsheets for future project pricing.

I use legal lined paper to add tasks for a total job price, then I hand write a contract proposal for the customer. If they want to keep the proposal, I shoot a picture of it with my iPhone for my records.

It is not completely paperless but I prefer an ink signature on a contract with terms and conditions included in a normal sized font.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts