Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear what you guys use for estimating software. I use quickbooks for my bills and such but need software specifically for painting estimates. Thanks.

1,183 Posts
Eagle Bid Estimating software

We use Eagle Bid by Len Fife, very easy to add your production rates
gives ya unit pricing as well.

For residential a great program is Estimate Paint Pro, email me for the link, I have not made 15 posts yet.

Or search on gogle for Painting Pro Estimating Software
I am all for any software that helps 99% of painters to relize they do not charge enough for there work........:mad: :mad:

tell them Nick
sent ya.............

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
I currently use Devwave's Estimate Works Pro. This is a great software and they are updating it all the time. I am AGAIN testing another beta version of a future release, and I must say, it gets better every time. They can be found at www.devwave.com

There is also the Paint Estimator Pro software, but it is EXTREMELY pricey, and I honestly don't think it's worth the price for it's limited capabilities. They have recently updated the program as well, and are now charging $999 for one license. It will cost more if you want to use it on more than one machine, but you can use it on a PDA also. However, I'm not convinced they have a worthwhile product because of what I saw before they updated it. The kind of money they are talking for the program is rediculous in my mind. It was a crazy amount as it was before at $269, but now $999, they can keep that crap.

·
Registered
285 Posts
how or do you use these programs effectively on resto's/repaints, pertaining to exteriors.shaving,sanding,spot prime,caulking,re-glazing etc..

are they just for painting kind of like books in the automotive industry,do you still have to plug in YOUR own estimated hrs for such above things?how exactly do they work?

it seems like the last tool a paint contractor should have/need!

1,183 Posts
how or do you use these programs effectively on resto's/repaints, pertaining to exteriors.shaving,sanding,spot prime,caulking,re-glazing etc..

are they just for painting kind of like books in the automotive industry,do you still have to plug in YOUR own estimated hrs for such above things?how exactly do they work?

it seems like the last tool a paint contractor should have/need!
With production rates, example---power sanding claps--25-50 sq ft an hour, caulking 1/8 opening---75-100 lf an hr. Only you know what your production rates are.

·
Registered
47 Posts
cprsoft.com........I just found this on google (paintcostestimater) and this little prgram seems to be awsome!! I downloaded the free trail version and playing with it over the last hour.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Quickbooks to for bills and to save estimates and invoicing, Microsoft excel for production rates and take off. Any thing out of the norm we use pdca guide for production rates.

·
Registered
285 Posts
With production rates, example---power sanding claps--25-50 sq ft an hour, caulking 1/8 opening---75-100 lf an hr. Only you know what your production rates are.
think

so its just the ease of being able to plug in YOUR own production #'s into a computer??you have a 100% differential for sanding,and caulking wtf?are you sealing horizontals!my cheap printed grid does just the same w/o making me look too overpriced when walking around the house with a laptop or pda, if my estimate is the highest bid!on more than 90% of my jobs i have a change order,and im usually expensive!but that thing might make you look like your going over board.also how does the program figure ladder moves for each stage of the process???i make four eyeball trips around the property for prep and reglaze,prime,caulk,and finish,all taking ladder moves into consideration.then i add 1hr for setup/cleanup for each day im there going by man hrs capable of working .shutters vary by, prep old or paint&hang new ,but still get worked into total man hrs.i dont make/expect any actual pure profit just MY man hrs covered to get the job done right! i guess im just a newbie old schooler?

i have'nt ever used one of these programs,but it seems like just another money maker,possibly for contractors,but mostly for the software engineers!i cant type me shakin my head!!!

1,183 Posts
think

so its just the ease of being able to plug in YOUR own production #'s into a computer??you have a 100% differential for sanding,and caulking wtf?are you sealing horizontals!my cheap printed grid does just the same w/o making me look too overpriced when walking around the house with a laptop or pda, if my estimate is the highest bid!on more than 90% of my jobs i have a change order,and im usually expensive!but that thing might make you look like your going over board.also how does the program figure ladder moves for each stage of the process???i make four eyeball trips around the property for prep and reglaze,prime,caulk,and finish,all taking ladder moves into consideration.then i add 1hr for setup/cleanup for each day im there going by man hrs capable of working .shutters vary by, prep old or paint&hang new ,but still get worked into total man hrs.i dont make/expect any actual pure profit just MY man hrs covered to get the job done right! i guess im just a newbie old schooler?

i have'nt ever used one of these programs,but it seems like just another money maker,possibly for contractors,but mostly for the software engineers!i cant type me shakin my head!!!
Those were just examples:rolleyes: there are many benifits to an estimating program. I have rates built in for everything you said, been estiaming repaints for over 30 yrs. Order the PDCA estimating guide or Dan Gleaseons estimaing repaint book from 25 yrs ago.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
...click the search button. Type in 'estimating software'....
Probably what new guy should've done before posting
;)
Must be time for the "How To Post In A Forum" Video again

rocco, other n00bs, volume up and pay attention please:

Posting And You

:laughing:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts