Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a constant that you can multiply the floor sq. ft. by, to get paint and primer, at say, 300 and 400 sq. ft. per gallon, for a given wall height??

Obviously, each wall height would have a different constant, and cathedral ceilings and whatnot would not conform. I'm just assuming that those of you who do painting exclusively must have a quick way to estimate. If it's not something anyone wishes to disclose on a public forum, I understand.

The closest I came up with is 153 as a constant, for 8ft walls. I need to run a bunch of other dimensions to see if that holds up.

I hope some of this makes sense. End of a long, frustrating, day.

:drink:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
This is something I never tried to do but people are always asking this question.
For material estimating:
The way I see it just keep it simple, you have to measure the floor to get a square foot area, why not just multiply the perimeter by the height and forget the formulas?

I never do labor costs by the square foot.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah, I'm not talking about doing my whole estimate by the sq. ft., just figuring quantity of paint.

Like for a new home, it's 1,700 sq. ft., all 8' walls, if there was a formula, hell, you wouldn't even have to go to the job site, just multiply by your constant, add a little for closets or whatnot, and you'd be good.

I don't know, maybe I played with math too much as a kid.

·
Super Moderator
30,057 Posts
The can is wrong.

150 is about right applied properly. Surface sq ft.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How would you know how many sqf of walls are in a 1700sqf house?
True. You wouldn't. Bad example.

I was thinking more along the lines of going into a house, and measuring just the room dimensions, on the floor, and then multilying it by some multiplyer, solely for speeds sake. I just figured the Painters must have a shortcut, that's all.

·
Super Moderator
30,057 Posts
Maybe 200-225. Rolled, two coats , with PVA behind that. No spray for drywall.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My hands may be stealing......

You watering at all? I dont.
No. I don't water. I always prime first, though. The first coat is always way low, second coat pretty much brings me up to average.

Always do two coats.

I'm in the middle of a whole house repaint, about 1800 sf, I'd guess. Gonna get some better numbers this time, and I'll report back. Been awhile since I did a whole house repaint.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts