Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone;
Im a framer by trade but I have been asked to do some custom brick inlay and false columb bases for a custom home I helped to build.
Basicly the job isnt hard or anything I was just wondering if there was a rule of thumb so to speak about bidding masonry work. Ie: $X.XX per brick that you set or have to cut and then set etc.
The bricks are standard size red bricks. No fancy cutting just 1/2 or 1/3 cuts. I will be setting bricks into cut outs in the walkways (2 rows verticle each) and overlaying the steps going up to the front porch. There are three columbs (southern plantation style) that I will be doing false bases for also.
Any help and / or advice is appreciated.
Thanks; Smitty

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
My first comment would be, are you licensed for masonry work in California? They generally frown on unlicensed contractors, as I'm sure you know.

Beyond that, and "formula" is based on large quantities being put in place by masons who huck mud all day long- they'd be useless in such a small job. Your best best is to estimate how long it'll take you to do the job, multiply by your hourly rate, add for materials, OH and profit, and call it a day.

Bob

·
Registered
365 Posts
AMEN to that. Sometimes a small job can take more time to set up and clean up after.than the actual work. All of that has to be considered. I would generally think in terms of number of days ( part days count as whole days) to do the job start to finish, and price accordingly.
JVC

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
??Licence?? Hey, Amigos...Zees guy he tries to be funny. Hahahahah.......
We dont needs no stinking licence Senior. Here in ze desert.... he who lives..... has ze licence. (smiles evily with lots of gold teeth.)
Well it sounds better when I do it on the jobsite. But actually I am licenced under a corporate licence, and have a tax number and a DBA. I also carry my own bond and insurance.
As for your advice it is spot on target. I guess I just wanted to hear it from someone else is all. Thanks guys. I appreciate it. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts