Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
3 Jacks 2 Nines
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys estimate fasteners for conventional wood framing? Percentage of wood costs? Calculate actual number of fasteners per wood materials list?

·
Super Moderator
10,711 Posts
I usually do it by the sq ft. Somewhere between .10 and .15 usually for me. I buy my nails in bulk at a discount usually.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Count up the fastners in 10 lnft of wall / Divide by 10 = nails/lnft.

total lineal ft of wall in project * nails/lnft= ttl nails

ttl nails/nails per pound (or Box) = how many you need.

but you need to add a handful for each opening and a few for corners :laughing:

·
Registered
842 Posts
I usually through in 5% of cost - covers nails, glue etc.
Any specialties - anchor bolts, hangers, etc gets counted so I have a proper sum for the order

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Count up the fastners in 10 lnft of wall / Divide by 10 = nails/lnft.

total lineal ft of wall in project * nails/lnft= ttl nails

ttl nails/nails per pound (or Box) = how many you need.

but you need to add a handful for each opening and a few for corners :laughing:
And don't forget to resalvage them from any tearout and the dumpster.

Apart from joking around, I do call around and check some fastner prices if it will be material in the project. Seems Simpson and specialty and even framing 3 1/4 's have been increasing rather dramatically...and decking fastners are seemingly going sky high.

My final estimate is basically a ballpark, considering the job.... we were off several/more than 100 bucks on my son's 1800 feet in Cali.... I did not realize earthquake shear wall and A35 plates involved (I'm from CO not CA)

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Interesting, I consider myself a pretty thorough estimator but I was just filling out my spreadsheets and like always I breezed by the fastener column thinking, "Hmmm, probably 4 boxes for this job." Don't know why I always do it this way.

·
GC/carpenter
44,250 Posts
Our hardware on these homes is pretty substantial, I usually turn in fasteners on the the bid breakdown for hardware. My hardware can run anywhere from $5000.00 to $20,000.00 depending on the size. Tons of seismic chit to deal with out here.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Our hardware on these homes is pretty substantial, I usually turn in fasteners on the the bid breakdown for hardware. My hardware can run anywhere from $5000.00 to $20,000.00 depending on the size. Tons of seismic chit to deal with out here.
I built in Fairbanks but Anchorage AK is like that too, I've seen similar numbers from colleagues there.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
My guys could never understand why I got pissed off if they overnailed, or worse yet, undernailed. I expect a specific nailing pattern for every aspect of the job.

When I was on a steady diet of duplex units, I knew how many boxes of 6's, 8's, 12's, electro-galvs, dipped galvs, etc., that would go into each building. One Jack-A consistently overnailing everything could easily take $100 out of my pocket in a weeks time.

The job I'm on now is a great example. I counted 24 nails through a king stud into a triple 2x10 header in a 2x6 wall. 36 nails in a single jack/king.
Spiral box nails for sheathing, shot 3/4 through the 1/2" CDX and some sheets easily have 100 nails in them.

I would see a guy pull that deal once and his bags would be in his car waiting for him.:censored:

Reactions: CarpenterSFO

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
And don't forget to resalvage them from any tearout and the dumpster.
good lord - had a really good carpenter who ran around at the end of the day and picked up nails, threw em in a 5gal bucket. He said twice a year he'd sit down with a bottle of Jack and sort em out. He was unique, always had fasteners when needed :laughing:. From New Berlin WI (bwiab may understand)... he went around back a house we were framing and cried for :eek: 20 minutes - the Day Stevie Ray Vaughn died

·
3 Jacks 2 Nines
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's funny... (not SRV dying... RIP) but I can remember doing the exact same thing on my first couple of jobs. I couldn't understand why guys would drop handfuls of fasteners and just leave them to be sucked up by the mud. I understand why now, but still doesn't make it right.

Thanks for all your input fellas. Seems like everything else in this industry, estimating fasteners, really is contingent on where and what.

·
3 Jacks 2 Nines
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Warren - when you say square feet. Is that square feet of the house footprint or of the wall surface?

·
Registered
Carpenter
101 Posts
I am terriable about est. fastners. I always just throw out a number. Not sure if its lazyness or what but always been that way. When I do my breakdown on spreadsheet, I have colum for fasteners, glue, caulk etc

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Wow you guys are through, I just include fasteners in my bulk pricing unless extra.

Years ago I was slow for a week so I emptied out the cube van and tool boxes, I had a 5 gallon pail 3/4 full of random fasteners...I threw em all out.

Reactions: kiteman

·
Super Moderator
10,711 Posts
Warren - when you say square feet. Is that square feet of the house footprint or of the wall surface?
That was for the square feet of the house. So a 3000 square foot house would run somewhere from $300 to $450. That is for gun nails and staples only. Hand nails and Simpson hardware are provided by the lumber yard.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Hand nails & hardware provided by the lumber yard? As noted hardware can cost 500 & up alone. You dont calculate it? Do you let the yard do the take off?

·
Super Moderator
10,711 Posts
I am speaking from my perspective as mainly a framer. The GC has the lumberyard supply the hardware along with the lumber and hand nails.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,591 Posts
I have a spreadsheet I made up that calculates plywood used per lineal ft of wall times the height and sq footage of roof than calculate sheathing nails from that. Same spreadsheet had int. and ext openings, than lineal ft of int wall footage and framing nails calculated off that +10%. Strap nails were based off a number based on strap takeoff (used base number of 18 per) and rounded up to the nearest box. Than 10# of hand drive (spikes/8's) on anything less than 2000 sq ft and 15# up to 3000 more than that it was just 25# flat out and used any extras for next job.

Between straps and nails I was usually in excess of 5k for a 2500 sq ft regular. The spreadsheet was a constant work in progress to fine tune every aspect than I fired everyone and don't do much framing anymore but their was a lot of polynomials that are now rendered useless.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts