Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of writing a series of articles on estimating. Essentially would be a weekly addition to the series.. anyway was wondering if yall could give me some feedback on the table of contents and if there is something else you would like to see or expanded on. Following is the table of contents as it stands right now. The first 2 sections would deal mostly with setting up your system to work with how you do stuff, general estimating tips, and the rest would be formulas etc for specific trades.

Estimating How To
Establishing your system
Manhour / Production rates
Before estimating begins
Compiling the estimate

Tracking Cost Data
Cost Code Accounting
Unit Costs
Field Tracking of Production

Excavation
Quantity Surveying
Estimating
Unit Costs

Concrete
Quantity Surveying
Estimating Foundations
Estimating Slabs
Estimating Forms
Unit Costs

Masonry
Quantity Surveying
Estimating Block
Estimating Brick
Estimating Stone
Unit Costs

Framing
Quantity Surveying
Estimating Floor Framing
Estimating Wall Framing
Estimating Roof Framing
Unit Costs

Roofing
Quantity Surveying
Estimating Roofing Materials
Unit Costs

Drywall
Quantity Surveying
Estimating Drywall
Unit Costs

Millwork
Quantity Surveying
Estimating Trim
Estimating Cabinets

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm trying to keep this series only to estimating - but I could probably fit something into the tracking job costs section. Maybe I'll expand on that in another series on Contract Management or something.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to be publishing them on my website at a minimum. Nathan and I have talked about putting them up here too. We'll work that part out as the articles are completed.
Prowall - it's mostly for more content on my website but also to help individuals in creating an estimating system that works for them. It will also help homeowners / clients to understand what it takes to estimate their job and where the numbers come from.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm actually complete with the first couple articles. Nathan and I just need to figure out how to put them here and still make it readable. I would just link to it but don't want to step on anyones toes.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was just contacted by servicemagic - they want to do a ad campaign on my site.. we'll see what they have to offer.
XML/RSS is a pretty good idea if there is enough new information available.. the only problem with my site is that I don't have enough new information to make it worth someones while to use.. therefore it doesn't make much sense for me to take the time to do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts