Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I frequent some of the other forums here and I was wondering... What is an Extreme ballpark figure for putting in one new outlet in an old house?

The location is in a dividing wall. The wall has an outlet on the side that faces the living room, but I would like another outlet on the side that faces the sunroom.

I know this is a tough question, but I am just looking for a ballpark figure.

Thanks

brock

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Assuming that the wall is hollow and we're just going to be tapping off the receptacle on the other side of the wall, here's my price:

Service call - 85.00
1 Gang smart box - 4.77
receptacle and cover plate - 7.33
3' 12-2 romex - 6.00
Fuel surcharge - 5.00
---------------------------------------
Total 108.10

This isn't that big of a job, and there will be some time left in the "service call". You get an hour from most guys in with the service call fee. You might want to think of another small job to fill the rest of the time in case there's time left over. Get a new light fixture to replace the weather beaten one by the front door, for instance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do you kind of pro rate your materials? Meaning you only use a few feet of 12-2 so you charge high for it, what would you charge if you used say 200' of 12-2? I have been trying to come up with a system for this but still trying to work it out. I can't charge $500 for a $35 roll of wire on larger jobs but on the small ones I like to charge more for materials.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
datafan said:
Do you kind of pro rate your materials? Meaning you only use a few feet of 12-2 so you charge high for it, what would you charge if you used say 200' of 12-2? I have been trying to come up with a system for this but still trying to work it out. I can't charge $500 for a $35 roll of wire on larger jobs but on the small ones I like to charge more for materials.
This isn't electrical, but applies to material charges just the same.

I have a minimum material charge for most everything. Big jobs are charged for real-time amounts. Small jobs are charged for by the minimum. If your job/touch-up only takes a thimble full of paint, you are still charged for a quart.

I'd determine minimum amounts of your materials (wire, caps, etc.) and charge that way.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
datafan said:
Do you kind of pro rate your materials? Meaning you only use a few feet of 12-2 so you charge high for it, what would you charge if you used say 200' of 12-2?
Yes, I do. Absolutely.

For figuring out the selling price for things like wire, I first determine what I pay for it per foot. Say, for instance, I buy a 250' coil of 12-2 Romex for 30 bucks. That means I pay .12 cents a foot for it. I use a sliding scale markup chart to markup material. If I was selling you 3 feet, my actual cost would be .36 cents. For an actual cost of .36 cents, the markup multiplier might be 10 times, which would cause it to bill out for $3.60. If you were buying the whole 250' roll, my actual cost would be 30 bucks, and the multiplier for that price might only be 3 times, which would make it bill out at 90 bucks. These are just bogus numbers that I picked out of the clear blue sky.

Here's an example on one sliding scale markup chart, but not the one I use:

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
That looks like a good system, just plug in my numbers. As a newbie on this site I am fast realizing how valuable it is! Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts