Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finishing 1500 sq ft of holland pavers. Anybody have a rule of thumb for estimating ammount of sweeping sand?
Dont like pavers, keep getting calls and bigger jobs.
Gotta make hay while the sun shines
Thanks
T

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Finishing 1500 sq ft of holland pavers. Anybody have a rule of thumb for estimating ammount of sweeping sand?
Dont like pavers, keep getting calls and bigger jobs.
Gotta make hay while the sun shines
Thanks
T
Not as much as you think and a lot more than you buy!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I'm in the same boat, as it is difficult to estimate. I rarely get it right when doing polymeric. All materials are different and I have no idea about holland pavers. So sorry!

If you can do a gallon on a small area and measure your square footage that it covers and use that to estimate before ordering.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Okay I'll bite as this is fairly painless. According to google it took .15 seconds to find this but if you are installing pavers you should know this off the top of your head. If you plan to continue doing larger paver jobs, take a training class - ICPI is the standard and it will teach you many useful tips including calculating materials.

For holland pavers (and basically all well installed non-tumbled pavers) you will get about 80-100 sf of coverage from a typical 50-60lb bag.

Larger pavers and tumbled pavers cuts your coverage in half. If you are using flagstone it all depends on the size of the joints between the stones but it most cases it cuts coverage by half again although we try to never use polymeric for flagstone.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Okay I'll bite as this is fairly painless. According to google it took .15 seconds to find this but if you are installing pavers you should know this off the top of your head. If you plan to continue doing larger paver jobs, take a training class - ICPI is the standard and it will teach you many useful tips including calculating materials.

For holland pavers (and basically all well installed non-tumbled pavers) you will get about 80-100 sf of coverage from a typical 50-60lb bag.

Larger pavers and tumbled pavers cuts your coverage in half. If you are using flagstone it all depends on the size of the joints between the stones but it most cases it cuts coverage by half again although we try to never use polymeric for flagstone.

Hope this helps.
On behalf of tpalz i thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On behalf of Tpalz I would also like to thank all who have replied.
You know, its what you dont know that will kill you.
Sand came WET. spent the weekend draggin a rake around my Zen garden, trying to dry it in the weak sun the Lord has givin us here in the great Northeast. Should be able to fiinish sweeping today.
Again, thanks to all.

And the correct answer was:
More than you think and less than you order.

·
Registered
380 Posts
What type of joint sand did you order that was wet? Obviously not polymeric sand but you didn't order mason sand did you? If joint sand showed to my site and it was wet the supplier would be replacing it. Something to remember for the next one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Or you could always wash the sand into the joints with a hose. I have 1 guy on the hose and 1 guy on a broom washing the sand in pavers all the time. It works great and you dont have to worry about the sand vibrating or washing down further into the joints later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts