Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys - thanks for being a wealth ir information.

Bidding on a second story addition in socal. I was a little shocked at the estimate from the architect and engineering, however his promises are grand and I appreciate that. Said something like “we will be there for you until the last nail”
That being said it’s maybe a 600 sq foot add above the first floor. Looking for a ballpark number what should cost for all documents minus the permits? My guess, is it’s more than 20% the total job. Maybe even more.

Any guidance appreciated
Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Design Build
6,677 Posts
I was going to try and share some comments, but I’m getting tired of people asking what a base price should be when every single project is unique and what it takes to get it done is also unique.

shop around until you get a price that you are happy with

·
Registered
660 Posts
Eric ... you need to define the architects scope. Obviously he is doing the design and construction docs. Does hd need to meet with the city to work out zoming or permit issues? Does he get invloved in bidding? Product submittals? A big cost item is construction admin ... site visits, invoice approval, project closeout.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,985 Posts
I’m finding that paperwork/design prices are generally higher than what I or my clients were expecting.

Im adjusting my expectations accordingly. 😳🤣

Percentage will vary based on the project size. I think that 20% is a good average for the projects I have going right now, but that changes drastically based on the project size and what is required.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m
Making some good
Progress and I’ll report back
My findings

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
27,546 Posts
I’m finding that paperwork/design prices are generally higher than what I or my clients were expecting.

Im adjusting my expectations accordingly. 😳🤣

Percentage will vary based on the project size. I think that 20% is a good average for the projects I have going right now, but that changes drastically based on the project size and what is required.
Am I reading that right? 20% for design and permits? 100k on 500k? Wtf....

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,985 Posts
Am I reading that right? 20% for design and permits? 100k on 500k? Wtf....
Yea but on smaller projects.

More like 15-20 on 100k.

Easy 10+ on 50-60.

Why I was saying it changes on the size of the project. That percentage goes down as the project gets bigger.

That’s why all my customers are pissed off. 😳🤣

·
Eater of sins.
4,569 Posts
I don't charge that much, perhaps I should though.

With engineering, I am about $7k all in. which includes my Architectural drawings, structural engineering, the Title 24 part 6 calcs. and corrections.
Does not include printing or any city fees or other engineering like soils if required.

Could be a little more or a little less depending, but for an addition to the first or second story that will cover it.

Andy.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,985 Posts
I’m over 10k on a 32x28 shop right now.

No water sewer gas. Has electric.

Nothing inside just an open shop. 😳

Lost 2 engineers here so i went with a new outfit. Known the guy for a while but this is my first project with him.

Draftsman I’ve used before is 6 months out.

Might be talking to you again Andy. 👍

Just wish you could do site visits. 🤣

·
Super Moderator
27,546 Posts
Around here it's 20% for architectural, engineering. Permits aren't included.
For renovations I can see that with all the rules yall have. No way 20% is going to the archy and engineers for a new house though. Right?

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,985 Posts
No. At least not in my area.

I wouldn’t be 100k into a 500k new build. Not even close.

I think pounder is in the SF Bay Area? His area is a lot crazier than mine.

·
Eater of sins.
4,569 Posts
I’m over 10k on a 32x28 shop right now.

No water sewer gas. Has electric.

Nothing inside just an open shop. 😳

Lost 2 engineers here so i went with a new outfit. Known the guy for a while but this is my first project with him.

Draftsman I’ve used before is 6 months out.

Might be talking to you again Andy. 👍

Just wish you could do site visits. 🤣

Funny you should say that.

My son and I will be in your area next week. We are taking a driving trip to camping spots in the Sequoias and then up by you going to the redwoods.

Andy.

·
Registered
GC
712 Posts
For renovations I can see that with all the rules yall have. No way 20% is going to the archy and engineers for a new house though. Right?
I honestly don't know. The closest I've come to building a new house was a 650 foot Cabana a couple of years back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts