Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon Friends

I am new to this group and so I am really looking forward to both helping others and myself.
I like to consider myself somewhat experiance in the Renovation business but wanted to ask for some advice.
I have been working with a client now for about 1 year, I have worked on 3 of his investment properties and each time i am learning that he is getting more and more difficult to work with.
He is extremly satisfyed with our services and does always come back to us for work, however each time I am learning that he trys to have my team of guys to do work for him on the side to save slighty on cost. My crew have been with me for a while and i always treat them well and vice verse, so they report to me about what is going on.
I am getting ready to hopefully start work on his new investment home but he is wanting a detailed break down of my costs for both labor and materials for each and every line item. I am typically not against this, but based on this clients ethics i am really opposed to the idea. I am confident that he will take my breakdown qoute and go to other "Home Depot" cheap hourly workers.
Any advice would be really helpfull on this matter.
Inaddition my qoute is by no means excessive or outragious.

Regards

·
Banned
3,431 Posts
I would ask why all of a sudden do you need a breakdown? Listen and listen some more, his answer and the way he phrases will tell you all you need to know,

PS I would never ever gvie a breakdown like that to anyone but my CPA.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Afternoon Friends

I am new to this group and so I am really looking forward to both helping others and myself.
I like to consider myself somewhat experiance in the Renovation business but wanted to ask for some advice.
I have been working with a client now for about 1 year, I have worked on 3 of his investment properties and each time i am learning that he is getting more and more difficult to work with.
He is extremly satisfyed with our services and does always come back to us for work, however each time I am learning that he trys to have my team of guys to do work for him on the side to save slighty on cost. My crew have been with me for a while and i always treat them well and vice verse, so they report to me about what is going on.
I am getting ready to hopefully start work on his new investment home but he is wanting a detailed break down of my costs for both labor and materials for each and every line item. I am typically not against this, but based on this clients ethics i am really opposed to the idea. I am confident that he will take my breakdown qoute and go to other "Home Depot" cheap hourly workers.
Any advice would be really helpfull on this matter.
Inaddition my qoute is by no means excessive or outragious.

Regards
The price is the price.
Breaking it down is just giving him
ammunition to pick it apart, or
shop it around.
It is either a workable price or it isn't.

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Try the search feature using "estimate breakdown" or something similar for a quick reveal of opinions on both sides of the fence.

I'll be on the side that says no breakdown, bottom line price for a finished product. We deliver a set of specs outlined in a well written proposal that states what we will do and how much.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank all of you for such a quick response, I have included my location in my profile Atlanta GA.

I am use to giving a break down but only as far as
a) exterior paint $xxx
b) interior paint $xxx
c) flooring $xxx

but he wants it for all the line items.

I truly think he wants to get this and act as the GC to save a buck. in the last project we did for him he started off saying that everything has to be as cheap as possiable but then was complaining about paint grade and other things.

thanks again gents.

·
Banned
3,431 Posts
Fix and flippers seem to be the worst at I want cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap did I mention I need it cheap but I want high quality. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Take-offs and cost estimates are part of your business like any other skill you possess. He wants you to give him one of your services for free? It takes time and effort to produce the information for which he is asking. He sounds like an arrogant A**hole to me. I predict your relationship will be short lived. I've run into this before. He'sone of those guys that has to win at everything and to him, winning means you have to lose.

·
Carpenter
514 Posts
Someone mentioned on another similar post recently that they "provide the final product, not the ingredients".

This seems to be an appropriate answer to this client.

If you start tiptoeing with this guy, he is going to push you over.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts