Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
theres quite a big investment in that. what have you been using? renting?

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've never used a grinder, just a blaster as they are different operations.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just did a little diamond grinding today. Doing two small bathroom renos at a local town beach. About 140 sq ft per bathroom. Took about 30 min each. If they are hooked up to vacuums there is very minimal dust. Quick sweep and vacuum and your ready to go. Also have a prep-master for larger jobs. That thing is one serious machine!!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
We used a diamond grinder last month to remove carpet adhesive and vct adhesive from about 1000 sf of concrete. Rented a floor buffer and the dimabrush pads. One of the worst things I've done in a while.

·
Nunya
62 Posts
Diamond grinder is more versatile. You can not usually remove tacky adhesives and heavy thinset with a shot blaster. There is tooling for the grinder that can make short work of that stuff.

You can't shot blast for thin film coatings, you have to grind.

Diamond grinding leaves more dust, but you should be vacuuming either way.

I'm surprised you are able to rent a quality grinder like a 32" husky. That's what we have and they are great grinders. It's typically much harder to rent good shot blasters as there is essential maintenance that needs to be done to keep it running optimally. I've never seen that happen with rental equipment but it may be different in your market.

If you mostly do thick film coatings, urethane concrete and moisture mitigation systems that require a csp of 3 or greater of I'd suggest getting a blaster and renting a grinder as needed for coating removal jobs. If you mostly do thinner systems I'd recommend a grinder unless you absolutely can't get your hands on a decent blaster when needed.

So the answer is you need both.

Edit- if you do a lot of thick mil epoxy removal you need a good grinder with pcd's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts