Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never done the concrete epoxy. I have a concrete patio and concrete around a pool. The concrete is porous and has been painted. I know I need to etch and clean the concrete but can I go over the paint that won't come off with the pressure washer? What steps do I take?

·
PRO
1,936 Posts
Is this your house or someone elses? I don't recommend you doing someone elses place for your first go around. Epoxy is like a woman, everything has to be right for it to work, temperature, moisture level of concrete and much more. When you do apply, follow the manufacturer recommendations to the "T" and do not deviate.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its an investor that buys and flips houses and only wants a job that LOOKS good. Save money where ever even if its putting flat paint in the entire house kitchen also. I'm really meticulous about things I just don't know if I can go over old paint. And I don't think I can really get it off.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Be careful which epoxy you use, the one I typically use on interior surfaces (polyamide) wont hold up well outside (chalk, fade, etc.). Also be aware the these epoxies are nasty chemically and will likely strip the paint, would suck if you rolled it on and all the painted spots started to pull up on you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Epoxies have a tenacious chemical bond. As stated, prior coatings may delaminate, causing the loss of the entire system. Fading and chalking are also issues- bad appearance after a short time in an area with UV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts