Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Versacoat
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I just joined the group and look forward to interacting with other professionals. My company is Versatile Coatings LLC. We specialized in floor coatings, concrete repair, concrete staining, concrete waterproofing and concrete cleaning. We have been in business since 2002 and are located in the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex.

·
Contractor
4,684 Posts
welcome to the forum! I'm looking forward to your sharing of information about epoxy floor coatings. Have you done gymnasium floor coating (w/ the court lines)?

·
Versacoat
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No gymnasium floors, mostly residential and some commercial oil and lube shops. Are you meaning basketball courts and the such or padded floors for gymnastics?

·
Service Provider
140 Posts
Welcome to CT..!! You'll like the discussions and information on many of the forums. Nice to meet you... :thumbsup:

·
Contractor
4,684 Posts
No gymnasium floors, mostly residential and some commercial oil and lube shops. Are you meaning basketball courts and the such or padded floors for gymnastics?
wondering about a regular concrete basketball court. I am curious about the striping in epoxy.

·
Versacoat
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wondering about a regular concrete basketball court. I am curious about the striping in epoxy.
I would recommend a product from PPG. PSX700, it is an epoxy/urethane hybrid that is tough as nails, only bonds to itself, UV stable and can be tinted multiple colors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What about radiant floor?

My foreman will do a garage floor shortly for a new house. No vehicles have ever been on the floor, but lots of paint prep, tile cutting & wood cutting happened there during construction so it's not pristine. It is still way below 50 degrees outside (below freezing most of the time), but the floor is heated to 62 degrees & has been heated since last April. Garage has an independent exhaust fan. With outside temps below freezing, application will have to be with doors closed. Power washing the floor creates one problem, ice outside the garage, but we'll figure it out. We are looking for a high solids system that can installed despite the limitations, and without breaking the applier (with fumes) nor the homeowner with costs. Thoughts?

·
Versacoat
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Horsesense, Go to your local tool rental company and get their concrete grinder which can usually be rented for about $200 per day. Then go to your local PPG/Monarch paint company and ask them about their PSX700 coating. Tough as nails and little to no odor. No problems with the radiant heating it will just make the product cure faster like on a warm summer day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the help

Thanks, Versacoat, for the help. We don't always have deep expertise here in Fairbanks, Alaska (but if you want to know how to deal with permafrost and ice lens in your build site, we have ALL the expertise).

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Welcome to the site Versacoat. Just seen your introduction. I'll be in Rowland in a couple of weeks teaching a class on coatings by the way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks all

Thanks to everyone. Homeowner selected SW H&C (has 46% solids, not as good as industrial/marine, much better than Lowes or Home Depot), which with diligent prep, thin coats of clear coat, and 9 days curing with the floor set at 72, seems hard as rock and looks great. Very little odor, after the first day, helped a lot by the garage's exhaust fan which normally initiates when there's motion but was set to run constantly for the install period.

·
Versacoat
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Garagedoorsok, I don't know what kind of material is being used in your garages and there are some out there that have a very strong odor (i've used some). Everything I use now has a truly low odor and VOC's under 90g/L.

Horsesense, I've never used that one but at my local SW store they have it on their shop floor. They used a different top coat than what is recommended with the H&C base coat and it has held up ok.

·
Registered
26 Posts
One stop shopping

Hi Versacoat,
Sounds like you go to a lot of different vendors for different flooring products. That's what I used to do, because I didn't think any one company had expertise in everything I needed. My buddy proved me wrong and turned me on to Florock. Pricing and quality good too. They have experienced reps all over the country. You might want to check them out: Florock.net (800-356-7625).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts