Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Contractor Talk,
First official post. curious if anyone out there can help me with any advice on removing an epoxy coated troweled floor in an existing bar floor. This is a two part epoxy that was originally mixed in two parts and troweled on the floor and 4" up the walls. I would like to return the floor to bare concrete floor.
Thanks in advance for any help and excited to be on the forum.
Streamline

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Scarifier. You can rent them at **** Depot around here.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Hello Contractor Talk,
First official post. curious if anyone out there can help me with any advice on removing an epoxy coated troweled floor in an existing bar floor. This is a two part epoxy that was originally mixed in two parts and troweled on the floor and 4" up the walls. I would like to return the floor to bare concrete floor.
Thanks in advance for any help and excited to be on the forum.
Streamline
Look into Diamabrush..

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Look into Diamabrush..
Depending on the profile needed a planer will make short work of it.removes 1/8 per pass.runs like a floor sander.but leaves a groove pattern.

Made by Edco .sunbelt rentals has them.gas and electric.
Diamabrush can be an inexpensive buy in and own prep tools.

I have the hardwood tool.works wonders

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
No no no my friends , PCD blade attached to a. 7" grinder and shroud with a vacuum attachment. My training is courtesy of Jack King.
Why the Removal ???, ???

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
You're goind to have to grind it off with some metal diamond blades. HusqvarnA

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server4...C510_0032__35583.1360780223.1280.1280.jpg?c=1

This is what I use. It'll get er done. And swap the blades from metal to ceramic to resin if you want to polish the floor. It has a huge vac that attaches.. the machine and vac will run you about 40 grand. But you can rent it for $600 a day.

There's got to be something better tho. This thing goes slow, you have to push it so slow you barely can tell its moving...(IF You plan to polish thst is).

If you aren't polishing, just grind away at whatever speed.

Metal blades are around 500 $ too btw and they don't rent those.

·
Registered
810 Posts
A scarifier is the best thing. One would think that bead blasting would be the tits, but on epoxy, it kinda just bounces off.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I'm gonna guess it's peeling or flaking off in spots.
Yeah I wouldn't bring a shotblaster, I'd bring a scarifier but probably end up using my grinder with the PCD (poly crystalline diamond) blade, it's what is recommended for removal of epoxy coatings , I've removed a few but none thicker than an eighth inch.
If it were not peeling just scuff it and set tile over.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Mike

Im curious if you ever heard of Diamabrush?

if not check them out..these tools work and the buy in is very economical for a multitude of prep and removal tools..and will fit on any ones buffer and floor prep/cleaners.

I can personally can attest to them..I own the hardwood prep tool.

sanded a Alum Oxide finish the other day..

used this first..took about 15 minute-20 minutes to remove the alum oxide from the floor on approx 280 sf,

when done the sanders went right over them.

saved probably $$80.00 in sanding belts and probably 11/2 -2 hours labor

check it out here.

http://www.diamabrush.com/index.htm

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Yeah Bud I've heard about a year ago, then I've seen them at Home Depot briefly, that's the name of company or product and they make several different styles for different needs . I saw one with maybe carbide flaps sorta like the flap sanding discs, it looked a little non durable, I would have liked to see the entire line of products in front of me so I could decipher what would be good for any situation I may need to get out of fast and the end result needed.
There's certainly a void in floor prep equipment that those products will fill, after that it's high dollar, makes me want to punch a hole in drywall, using a studfinder first takes away the spontaneity.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, moving an existing bar back and want to use the existing back bar floor as finished front of house floor. Ill keep you posted, I appreciate the help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts