Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I guess I'll tell you guys everything.

Last October I looked at this roof, it was half torch down half hot mop. It was leaking where they were seamed. The building owners, an architect and engineer couple wanted me to patch it. I told them they needed a roof and after going back and for I told them I would do a $1500 no warranty repair.

They wanted to wait until this spring because they could get grant money to do it

So we torched town another 6' and cemented and meshed it.

December came around and I had a very rude message from them saying it leaked. I still had all emails back and forth. One of them I said that it was beyond repair and the water would find another way in.

So i show up and it's raining in the building. About a foot of snow had melted.

So they tell me to go ahead and Epdm that half of the roof. So we tear it out and deck it, and put 4" of ISO down.

I wanted to put a new drain in that part if the roof, but they told me I wasn't allowed to.

So the whole Epdm roof (25 square) has to drain 100 feet to the 1 drain on the roof. The one drain does about 75 square.

So they told me they were going to get the rest of the roof done when there grant came trough in the spring. So we water stopped and termination bared the Epdm to the torch down.

So I get an email from them saying it started leaking this past week and they had another contractor out there to look at it and bla bla bla and I'm a hack.

The way I look at it is it lasted 3 months longer than they told me it needed to last. Am I wrong?

On top of all of this. They still owe me $3800. I really want to tell them to fvck off.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Ouch, touchy situation to be in.

Hope everyone realizes you are not looking for hind-site in this post and doesn't bother with the "oh I would never ever do that" posts.

Exactly what is leaking? Your new roof or their old POS? If your section is not the problem then technically it is not your responsiblility. Have you been able to source the leak?

From the sounds of these people I would suggest cutting your losses, getting as far away as cheaply as possible and hopefully learning a number of things from it. One major thing would be never let the customer dictate how you do your job.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Dude, I had to check who posted this like 3 times. I'm kinda laughing at you...waiting for you to laugh back with me... cuz you already know! I just about choked on my triple chocolate cake from jack in the box when you said bla bla bla I'm a hack. Lol cuz I know exactly what you are going thru! Its like, what the heck do they expect?! They don't listen, no matter how much you warn them... they refuse to do it right and get mad when it doesn't work. And blame YOU! !

Honestly, after that apartment saga I went thru, the second they start suggesting ways for me to do it wrong, I just shake my head and smile. I don't even try explaining it anymore because its a waste of time. Its like this, if you're arguing w a stupid person, you've already lost.

No good deed goes unpunished... I hated when my dad said that to me but in construction... he's right. I'm sure you were prob trying to land the entire job by pacifying them until they had the money, but.... damn.... you had to know that wasn't going to go your way. Youve been doin this too long. So enough of the empathy/lecture... what I would do is take them to court before they take you to court and try and make u buy them a new roof. Its always better to be the suer and not the sueee. Plus... how the hell they gonna complain about some chit they didn't even pay for.?? Its the princabelity of the issue maaan!

I heard this chick on tv today say.."are those balls between your legs or did your d!ck step in chewing gum?" Lol.. don't roll over on this one dude. Screw those ppl! You already know they are talking all kinds of crap about you to everyone! Sue that other roofer too for slander. You can't say that kind of stuff about another contractor! You just can't.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
and I would have done it just how you did it with the term bar and about 3-6 feet of an overlap. prob woulda pookied it up too on the modified and then threw granules over it. then term bared it another 6 feet or so..

dude on that apartment job that i had to tarp, after i tarped it all up and did it all perfect, i rolled out the tpo on top of it just incase we had some high winds... I didnt want any of it getting ripped up.. and the freckin management went up there and drilled pieces of wood into the roof and all thru my tpo. I was so pissed off. I am still going to kick that guy in the face if i ever see him again...

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
madrina said:
and I would have done it just how you did it with the term bar and about 3-6 feet of an overlap. prob woulda pookied it up too on the modified and then threw granules over it. then term bared it another 6 feet or so.. dude on that apartment job that i had to tarp, after i tarped it all up and did it all perfect, i rolled out the tpo on top of it just incase we had some high winds... I didnt want any of it getting ripped up.. and the freckin management went up there and drilled pieces of wood into the roof and all thru my tpo. I was so pissed off. I am still going to kick that guy in the face if i ever see him again...
I would have put it down with the holes in it, but I'm an ass

1 - 12 of 12 Posts