Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, I'm trying to figure out how to price my most current bid. Basically, the 119square .gov building has been leaking for ~5 years according to the sheriff and currently has a mix of EPDM and modified bitumin. Going from memory (notes are in the car and it's pouring outside) there are 8 main trusses that need to be jacked up and supported with at least 8x8x16'. They may possibly need major repair. By an educated guess, at least 20% of the 1x8 slats need replacing.

I'm still a little wet behind the ears but smaller repairs don't scare me. But on the other hand, I've never had to price repair work on such a large scale.

Any advice on where to start on the repair work?
Thanks

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Are you asking for pricing on repairs or replacement?

Just guess how long it will take you, add no less than 10% to that number. Multiple by your hourly rate. Add on the materials. Add on some profit and done.

On commercial jobs like these (expecially repairs), I ALWAYS ask their budget. I might give them a price to do it right and they can't afford it and just want temporary patches. It saves alot of trouble asking the budget up front. If they don't want to give it up, I explain "Look I can give you a rolls royce repair job or a honda repair job. Both are repairs but the rolls royce repair job might cost $20k and the honda repair job $2k. Can you at least tell me in which direction you are leaning? Give me a range of what you're willing to spend. I don't want to spend a few hours of my time pricing up something you can't afford."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts