Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our NARI chapter is hosting a lead-based paint training session this month. We have contracted with an EPA approved training firm to provide the full day certification class at a group rate. This is NOT a for-profit event for our chapter, and funds will pay for the class, lunch, and facility rental. Class sizes are limited to 20 participants per 1 day session, and the training firm will stay for as many additional days as necessary for those who wish to register. Details:

The Indianapolis National Association of Remodeling Industry (NARI Central Indiana) is Sponsoring
a National Training Seminar for the New EPA Lead-Based Paint Certified Renovator Initial Training Classes.

One Day Class Starts November 17th, 2009

"...the EPA fines and penalties for non-compliance are stiff, and April 2010 will be here before you realize it."

Who Should Attend
The full-day EPA Certified Renovator Initial course is the first class to be offered in Central Indiana and is intended for maintenance technicians, service personnel, renovators, remodelers, painters and any other workers removing or modifying any painted surfaces in pre-1978 housing and in pre-1978 child-occupied facilities. Contractors will learn how to comply with the new EPA Rule and the HUD Lead Safe Housing Rule. Students will also learn how to work safely with lead-based paint, and how to perform lead-safe work practices safely and effectively during renovation, repair and painting projects.

Why is this Important to Attend
The EPA's Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule will become fully effective and enforceable on April 22, 2010. The Rule applies to all "renovations," including many typical housing maintenance activities, performed for "compensation" in pre-1978 "target housing" and pre-1978 "child-occupied facilities" when the work will disturb paint, stain, shellac and varnish that has not been tested and certified as lead free.

Approximately 8.4 million renovation, repair and painting projects, large and small, will trigger the EPA Rule's requirements in the first year alone. An estimated 211,000 trade contractors, third-party property managers, residential rental property owners, property leasing agents, and other affected organizations will have to comply with the Rule, including applying to EPA to become "Certified Renovation Firms." Additionally, hundreds of thousands of workers performing these "renovations" will have to be trained and certified as "Renovators" by EPA-accredited trainers.

Training Logistics
Date: First Session- Tuesday, November 17, 2009, all day training seminar, lunch is provided

Location: Broadmoor Country Club in Indianapolis, 2155 Kessler Boulevard, West Drive, Indianapolis
Registration: Seating is limited, class size is limited to 20 participants per day. Additional days will be added as demand merits.

Who is Providing the Training?
NARI Central Indiana has engaged the CONNOR Institute, an EPA-accredited national training provider, to offer the required new EPA Certified Renovator Initial full-day course for the benefit of NARI Central Indiana members and their affiliated contractors and subcontractors.

What is the Cost to Attend?
Registration fee is $175.00 per student for NARI Central Indiana members and $225.00 per student for non-NARI members.

How Do I Sign Up?
You must register through the CONNOR Institute's electronic training system, database and website. All students will need to register for the class and pay the registration fee on CONNOR's website.

For Central Indiana NARI Members, go to www.connorinstitute.com/clients/1861/NARICentralIN.aspx

For Non-NARI Members, go to www.connorinstitute.com/clients/1861.aspx

Note: if link does not work, please cut and paste address into your browser.
As registered students, you will automatically receive updated information on the class from Connor.

Take advantage of this opportunity to get your personnel, your contractors, and subcontractors trained as Certified Lead Paint Renovators.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another class is coming up the end of January here in Indy, by the Connor Institute.

If you're anywhere close and still need the training, I highly recommend you take advantage of this. As we get closer to April, it's going to get harder and harder to get into a class. There are WAY too many folks that need this, and far too few available options.

·
General Contractor
122 Posts
Lead Removal Cost

I am in the process of placing a bid on a 2,700 sq ft house. This house has lead paint on all of the interior window and door molding. It needs a lead certified contractor to encapsulate all trimming and remove all interior doors. Does anyone have a rough idea of how much it will cost for a certified contractor to do the job? I'm located in Central Mass. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I am in the process of placing a bid on a 2,700 sq ft house. This house has lead paint on all of the interior window and door molding. It needs a lead certified contractor to encapsulate all trimming and remove all interior doors. Does anyone have a rough idea of how much it will cost for a certified contractor to do the job? I'm located in Central Mass. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
8 hours of your time and about 200-300 dollars Will get you certified...another 300 dollars will get you registered with the feds.

·
General Contractor
122 Posts
8 hours of your time and about 200-300 dollars Will get you certified...another 300 dollars will get you registered with the feds.

Jon,

If I attend 8 hours of the class, get certified, and send an EPA application to get registered with the feds, can I then do work on houses that contain leaded paint? I am just getting to know the RRP rules and still learning on this forum.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

·
Sean
5,519 Posts
LT - the question is - are you looking for an abatement contractor or a renovation contractor?

If you just need a renovation contractor - take the class & get your firm cert in. (full compliance required by 4.22.10 - firm cert can take up to 90 days to get)
If you need an abatement contractor, well that is more involved & varies by state (visit EPA.gov/lead & look in the abatement or testing section for a map with links)

For further reading I would check out the other Lead thread here http://www.contractortalk.com/f11/n...-april-2010-all-trades-need-understand-63265/ - that has numerous other links and information on the new process (or you can cheat my blog - Lead Pages)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
seems like in other states the classes are hard to find. in WI, we have classes almost when ever you want.

http://www.mlaic.com/Services/Lead%20training.htm

and remember.........every 2 years you need to take a refresher course

at least we get credit for our lic with this

Correction.... ·A 4 hour refresher course is needed every 5 years to maintain certification for students & businesses.

·
Property Preservation
3 Posts
O.K. Understand.
Update your sie reguarly for usefull info please.Am I missing somethig?Even phone numbers are not answered.Please advise.
Thank you.
Jeff Z

·
Property Preservation
3 Posts
I was interested in lead certification.Used EPA test kit,failed.Showed positive.............Hired a enviro lab company to do and showed negative.I will go with the lab co results.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts