Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about permits for building. Please bear with me I am only a student so I know virtually nothing about construction in the field. What permits do you commercial contractors have to obtain to start building besides a building permit. Any waste water runoff permits etc. I have searched Georgia. gov permits etc. and found primary, tertiary, etc. Who does tertiary permit go for, what does that mean. Also do you need solid waste permits etc. I am clueless about what permits are required. The project is a bank around a strip mall. Thanks

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
cpdatlanta said:
Who does tertiary permit go for, what does that mean.
1= primary 2 = secondary 3 = tertiary. Is that what you mean?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
cpdatlanta said:
What permits do you commercial contractors have to obtain to start building besides a building permit.
Here's a link that might give you some insight into what goes on in a town like Atlanta http://www.atlantaga.gov/government/planning.aspx?section=PlanningCommunityDevelopment

Permit requirements can vary widely from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. While I'm not a GC, from what I've seen you can generally break permits down into three categories; Owner, Contractor, Subcontractor.
Owner permits are typically secured by the Architect or Engineer. They will include permits such as Army Corps of Engineer 'wetland' permits; site permit; complex structure permits; adequate public facilities permits; commercial energy code permits; sediment and erosion control permit; demolition permit; sewer impact permits; development impact permits - amongst others. Applying for these permits requires an intimate knowledge of design criteria and project specific financial and legal informationthat the Contractor does not typically possess. Many such permits are applied for by the Owner's design team in conjunction with their development, and subsequent submission to the 'town' for review and approval, of the project plans. Also, the time frame required to secure such permits often demands that the application process be commenced long before a contractor becomes involved in the building process.

Contractor permits may sometimes include the building permit - sometimes not. It will vary from project to project dependant upon a number of variables. I think the Contractor is typically, at a minimum, charged with securing the use and occupancy permit. As a part of the contract with the owner, the contractor will also include such things as the plumbing permit, electrical permit, etc. but the contractor does not actually secure them - subs do.

Subcontractor permits are specific to the trades, i.e., the plumbing permit, the electrical permit, the sprinkler permit, etc., etc. Only a sub licensed for the specifc trade can 'pull' these permits.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
FL, especially in my area, is the king of permits. Here we have protected wetlands, the Loxahatchee River, North and South forks of the St. Lucie River, the St. Lucie Estuary and the Indian River Lagoon, all protected by local, state and federal govt's. If you are even close to one of these, figure about 2 yrs. in permitting and if ANYONE opposes your project, double that or scratch it. Those are just the big hoops, then you jump into County and City micro-management.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts